Monday, August 1, 2022

Last day of USATF Masters Championships 2022 - 4x400m club relay

I stayed an extra night to run in my club's 4x400m relay.   I didn't push real hard but ran about a 64 sec leadoff split, which I think was our team's fastest leg.   We won our age group in pedestrian 4:32, the team averaging 68 a leg.  Mark Carver ran anchor in a 65-66 split.  We actually beat the M50 team which was beat up with injuries.  

Bottom line is I finished the season relatively healthy.  I don't feel the strain that I had after Hayward or Finland.  I am definitely healing.  The competition at this year's nationals was weak in the 100m and 200m.   I probably could have medaled in both with my B game.  The Silver in the M60 100m was won in 13.40, last year there were 3 of us under 12.61 in the final.   


Overall, I'd have to say the highlight of my season was the Masters Exhibition run at Hayward.  Finland was cool as well.  As far as this season goes, it was generally a 'recovery season.'   I did a lot of hard work and stayed in good shape, however... taking it to the highest level requires no physical limitations, no significant injuries to interfere with the highest level of training.  Surviving the training is key. 

Unfortunately, it will get harder and more competitive next year with new M60 people coming in.  

When I look at some fellow masters athletes, looking at their physiques, some obviously don't take it as seriously as I do.   Some have more natural ability and don't have to, while some may not have the time, and there is every shade of abilities and levels of dedication.  

At some point, I'll put up a season summary.   See my next post on season end thoughts....


No comments:

Post a Comment