Friday, August 5, 2022

Bike climbs, detraining

Yesterday, did the Roark's Cove bike climb and will do it today.  Yesterday was about 24 min.  I intended it to be 'leisurely' but really, anything under 26 min is a sweaty tough haul.   When not in shape, even 28 min is hard.  

Thinking about what Alan said about 'detraining.'  

Detraining is a thing.   Defined as:  

Detraining is the partial or complete loss of training-induced adaptations, in response to an insufficient training stimulus.

This article refers to 'short term detraining' as less than 4 weeks.   It also verifies what I've long suspected, aerobic fitness is the first to go.  

Short term cardiorespiratory detraining is characterised in highly trained athletes by a rapid decline in maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) and blood volume. 

I haven't run in 5 days and frankly, it feels like forever.  I feel no signs of the injury.  I really hate the feeling of being detrained and starting over, so I may go to the track this weekend and see how I feel.  The specificity of competing at an elite level in masters track, especially at long sprints (and middle distance) is an ability that diminishes very quickly and can't be compensated for with any other activity.   I do know of endurance runners that have successfully maintained fitness on the bike, but it doesn't seem to work as well for top end running speed.  

Ideally, the season should never end.  But, at my age, I shouldn't be obsessive or the injury will persist.  Ideally, maybe one day a week might help slow the detraining.


No comments:

Post a Comment