Saturday, April 2, 2022

Bike and PT, thoughts

 Did bike climbs Friday and Saturday, not super hard as I did Tuesday.  Doing lots of strengthening today... squats, RDLs, pull ups, and various bands and PT.  Want to run soon but have to be patient.  Not sure if I'll bike or run hills tomorrow.  Monday looks really nice.  Tomorrow, like today about 60º.

Went to the track to do some stretching and then a brief bike ride, but not a hill climb.   Ran a few strides, felt fine.    Did feel a slight soreness from my PT to let me know the injury is still there.  That's typical, as long as it's gone tomorrow and I'm even stronger.  

Was talking to Dave I. from Australia.  He had this same injury in 2011, recovered to run world class by 2016 in Perth (Silver 200m), and had a reoccurrence in 2018.  He said it took 6 months to recover while he trained through it, cautioning about what I already know... don't push it to an unacceptable level of pain.

Outdoor Nationals

They launched the website for USATF Master Nationals in Lexington.  I'm totally focused on this as a goal.  It is July 28 in Lexington, KY.  16 weeks away, I should easily be ready to defend my title.  I'm happy that it is later rather than sooner.  I feel like I'll be starting from the beginning when I finally get to running again.  I'm not super heavy, but feel as if my muscle mass is down, and I've not been real aggressive with my cross training and not real strict with my diet.  I'm still hovering around 143 lbs.

Aussie Championships this weekend.  One of the most amazing times - which some of my colleagues immediately started to call "juicing"... was M65 Rob M. who ran a 25.00 (wind legal).  Really pretty astonishing, considering that was what he was running 9 yrs ago.   M60 winner was 25.34.   Dave says he thinks it may be the new Maxflys and real good conditions.   UPDATE:  The M60 Aussie 400m champ was Todd in 61.98.  

A lot of great performances this weekend with some major meets.  A HS junior in FL ran 45.78 400m at the FL relays.

Observations on my local college track team: I was watching the Sewanee track practice.  It finally dawned on me what is going on... why it seems so casual and no one ever seems to be working hard, and why there is apparently a lack of participation.  I face the same exact thing in my music program.  College enrollments are becoming so small that if you push kids too hard, they'll quit and you won't have a program.  It's really a sad state of affairs.  Can't totally blame the coaches.  Their best sprinters are only about as fast as I was in my mid 50s.  Some are embarrassingly slow.  What was quite interesting is that in their meet this weekend,  those 2 Namibia women, Mboma and Masilingi (who were banned from the 400m due to high testosterone), showed up at this DIII meet in Birmingham.  Mboma the Olympic 200m Silver Medalist ran a 22.12, setting a facility record... (while Sewanee's girl ran a 29).  I raced in 16 meets and ran the 400m 15 times last year, 28 races.  I doubt any Sewanee sprinters will race more than ten races this year.   Sewanee athletes seem to go to meets only when they feel like it.  Only about 10 Sewanee track members attended this most recent meet - male and female combined - while the team roster lists 50 members!  

No comments:

Post a Comment