Saturday, May 1, 2021

off track day / schedule

Yesterday, off day from the track, I biked up Roarkes Cove Rd in about 25 min, an easy pace.  Then went to the weight room in the evening.  Did glute/ham machine: 5 x 50 w/ 300lbs each leg.  

I looked at the Track Lab meet I had thought about attending today, good decision not to go.  With all ages and male and female combined, there were 79 heats of the 400!  

Schedule

I'll be racing Nashville, May 15; then Atlanta, May 30.  I could also race the next 2 consecutive weekends in AL at Choccolocco, but I may just do one.  After that, I have no more meets scheduled, however, I may chose to race in FL in the JAC series.  They have meets on June 27, and July 11.

So, will probably have 5 more meet opportunities before Nationals.  


Training Methods

Reading an article on 'lactate stacking' ... it shows there are many roads that lead to 400m fitness.  The article suggests 2 'traditional' workouts that require more reps, a little more speed, and allows for more rest.  These are different than workouts I've been doing so I may try them.  They are:

6x300m w/6 min rest at 87% of 400m pace  (~46.33 - 46.90 avg) 

8 x 200m w/ 3 min rest at 92% of 400m pace (~28.51 - 28.94 avg)

The speed calculations are based on a range of race pace splits.  For me, the actual training goal may be somewhere in the middle, or just below the higher number.   The problem with these workouts is the increased volume, which could be taxing.  I usually do these workouts a 1 - 1.5 sec slower with about 1/3 the rest and a few less reps.  The rest seems generous, and I wonder if the same benefit could be achieved with less volume and less rest, with only a slight reduction in speed?

No comments:

Post a Comment