Saturday, May 15, 2021

Nashville Masters and Open meet

 Finally, I was able to finish a 400m race.  Near perfect weather at Brentwood Academy for the Nashville Masters and Open TF Classic.  Dry, sunny, low 70ºs, light headwind on the home stretch.   I felt my execution was better in this 400m than any so far this season.  Just 0.09 slower than my WL M60 time last year, and a WL M60 400m time as of now.  Each of 3 outdoor 400s, a little faster so far this season.  My 6th and fastest 400m of the season.  (3 indoor, 3 outdoor).  

400m - 57.58

I really just wanted to finish without rigging up, so I planned to go out fairly conservatively, about 27.  I hit it just about right.  Duane and Lyon both had me about 26.5, so that was probably really 26 high including reaction time.  I estimate my splits to be somewhere like 13,14,14.7, 15.8.   Certainly room for improvement, but nice to finish without serious rigging.  

On BA's 6 lane track, I had lane 5.  To my inside in lane 4 was a 24 yr old who ran by me with ease well before the 100m mark, a competitive M45 guy in 3, and old guys in 1 and 6.  I heard the M75 guy in lane 6 yell out, "jesus!" as I sprinted by him in the first 20m.   The M45 guy passed me on the back stretch then stayed about 2 seconds ahead the rest of the way.   The young guy finished about 50 flat.  

After the race, I didn't want to stay for the 200m because of the headwind and the fatigue, so I went back to Sewanee and did a steep hike with Roya down the Potter Ridge Trail to Lost Cove and back out.   Tomorrow will be taking the boat out and meeting Bill and doing the bike climb up Raccoon Mtn.   So, a pretty active 'day off' tomorrow.  I expect to be back by Monday evening for my next track workout.  

This race, I was a little heavier, probably 140 - 141.  So, I don't think my weight matters all that much within a range of a few lbs either way.   








3 comments: