Sunday, May 30, 2021

6 x 200m tempo / Atlanta Relays

Well, Atlanta relays was a bust.  A badly anomalous performance, one of the worst 400s in my masters career in fact.  Inexplicably slow... 59.46.   We had a really strong head wind on the home stretch, but still....   Can't really explain it except that my mind wasn't engaged and I was a bit too casual and perhaps not warmed up.  If I'm not focused, thinking about form, and coaching myself  through the whole race, I can execute poorly... even when I'm in shape.  Some other contributing factors were 1) Overweight, heaviest I've been for a race this yr, 143.5 lbs.  2) Poor sleep for a few days.  Had a really persistent bout of hiccups the day before that actually woke me up night before the race.  So... not going to talk much about this one, just move on.  It was nice to see and speak with many of my fellow masters at the meet.  As penance, I did a hard interval set at Marist school today, Sunday.

Weather was idillic in Atlanta this evening.  Dry, sunny, 72º light / calm winds.  Unseasonably cool.  Marist school was a ghost ship, not a single person on campus that I could see.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m, 2 x 50m

6 x 200m w/ 3 min rest - 27.32, 28.07, 27.93, 29.20, 29.43, 30.25  / 28.70 avg 

This is really a seriously exhausting workout, and I deserved the punishment.  Happy to get all 6 in although 0.19 slower than the same set I did on May 9.   (Maybe the difference was, on that day, I walked 200m back to the start line and ran all 6 with a tailwind).  

Anyway, on my way back to getting leaner and meaner.   Thinking about throwing in an over distance day, like some 500s or split 700s.  Maybe will try some consecutive running workout days or some training on turf.  We'll see.  

139.8 lbs after workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment