Saturday, May 1, 2021

5x300m tempo

A different kind of tempo workout, inspired by an article I read on Jimson's page about 'lactate stacking'.  Apparently, it is more 'traditional' (whatever that means) to do 300m tempo faster with more rest and more reps.  It was suggested that perhaps faster and more reps would be better overall for form.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100m

5 x 300m w/ 6 min rest - 46.01, 45.19, 45.71, 46.17, 48.16 (avg 46.25) 

For the first 3, 6 min rest seemed ridiculously generous, compared to the 2:30 I had been doing.  But after the 4th, it was a different story.  I then knew I'd not be doing 6.  The 5th rep, my time dropped considerably and the exhaustion level was equal to a 4x300m set at 48.  No way could I get a 6th.  It took quite an effort to finish #5 in 48.  My friend Getulio says he shoots for 45 for this workout.  I was at about 45.7 avg for the first 4.  

It was a butt kicker.  I noticed my form lacking in the turn a bit, so something to work on.  Don't know if I can do this workout more than once a week.  Maybe twice.

Dave M. just announced his meet in Nashville will be June 5-6, part of the American Track League Series, some of it will be broadcast on ESPN, the week after Atlanta relays, so maybe I will do that meet, and AL Choccolocco meet on the 12th.  Dave's meet hasn't announced the venue yet but he wants to do a "Run your age Masters 400m" event.   




No comments:

Post a Comment