Friday, March 9, 2018

split 400 / hills

After a day off I hit the track today and brought my spikes.  56º, sunny and breezy at the Sewanee track.   Not sure what I wanted to do, feet weren't feeling great and I knew I didn't want to do too much.  So I put the spikes on, they felt ok.

Hoka trainers on
 
350m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 50m accelerations 
Puma spikes on 
300m - 41.2 / 1 min rest / 100m - 15 
Hoka trainers on 
200m hill sprints - 39, 41

I was pretty disappointed in my first outing in spikes in 4 weeks.  I'm simply no where near where I was last year.  Last year I was actually running 40 flat 300s and feeling like I still had some left in the tank.   Today, just over 41 and barely making it.  Based on what I ran today, I'd be hard pressed to break 58 on a 200m flat track.  I'm definitely not in 'championship' shape.  Not feeling really ready to race a 400m.

After the 300m, I went down to the steep part of Roarke's Cove Rd to run the hill.  It's a steep hill but it gets even steeper near the top, the last 50m is the steepest part.   And I really busted my ass.   The first hill sprint was hard, but the second one, about 5-6 minutes later was unbelievable.  I actually pushed to the point of failure about 2 or 3 steps from the top.  It was like lifting where you just can't do another rep.  I just collapsed in the road.  I couldn't even walk for a few minutes, my glutes were burning and I was aerobically maxed out.  I finally made it back to my car, went home and had a protein shake and sat in my hot tub.

I think it's a bit too late to do any serious conditioning workouts after today, but still want to run some hard 150's, do some starts, and maybe a 300m event run.  At least the left plantar issue has improved.  It's the right foot that is more the issue now.

142.5 lbs after workout.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds terrible!! Hate to see you torture yourself to such an extent. I worry about you!

    ReplyDelete