Thursday, January 4, 2018

Hoka Clifton training shoes

My foot issues have been my limiting factor in training this season and for most sprinters, the Hoka Clifton would seem like an odd choice to train in, but they've saved my feet.  These have been the go to training shoes for distance runners, but they're light, soft and flexible.

If there ever was a revolutionary training shoe, it is the Hoka Clifton 1 which I reviewed here.   These came out in the '14-'15 season, and I first purchased them in spring '16 as they were becoming rare as the previous year's model.  I had always trained Saucony Triumph ISOs, but in comparison the Clifton 1's are a whopping 3 ounces lighter and considerably better cushioned while still very flexible.  Unfortunately, the foam in the Clifton 1s was unprotected by rubber at the very point at which I strike the ground in a sprint, under my little toe, so they wore quickly.  I wish I had bought multiple pairs of these, now everybody is screaming for these remarkable shoes to be reissued, to no avail.   The subsequent versions were never as good, heavier but at least more durable.  The Hoka Clifton 1 is now a legend.  I found one in my size on Ebay, a women's model, and a bit worn but usable.  I bid $25 but the offer has not been accepted.  One reviewer said that the new Nike Vapor 4% - the marathon shoe that Nike developed for the sub 2 project, reminded him of the Clifton 1.   That shoe sold out rapidly at a cost of $250.

From Left: oldest to newest - Clifton 1, Clifton 2, Clifton 3, Clifton 3, Clifton 3


The Clifton 2 was heavier, narrower and not as good.  It wore quickly as well.  The Clifton 3 is wider and yet heavier, I think about 2 ounces heavier than the Clifton 1 in my size.  The Clifton 1 was crazy light, 7.5 ounces, but the Clifton 3 is still light for this level of padding... about 9.5 oz in my size. About an ounce lighter than the Saucony's I used to train in, and the Clifton's are more protective, more comfortable, but still flexible.  The Clifton 4s I ordered and sent back.  Heavier and stiffer, not really suitable for a sprinter, so I bought a third pair of Clifton 3s while I still can.

So, 5 pairs of Cliftons in 20 months.  I think it was May '16 I got my first pair.  The Clifton 1's showed significant wear after only 2 months so I got the Clifton 2s in the summer '16 and they saw me through some tough training for Perth in Nov. '16.  Got my first pair of Clifton 3s at the beginning of '17.  They saw me through training for Daegu in March.  I got a second pair over the summer and my third pair last week.   The first pair is still serviceable but I'll use them for gym and maybe some road hill running.  The upper right side of especially the right shoe is what wears first, as you can see here:


The long term foot issue I have is with my right foot, arthritis in the talonavicular joint and a bone spur above it.  The left foot plantar issue is finally seeming to go away.  During '16, it was under the ball of the foot - metatarsalgia, but more recently, the heel.  I'm happy I'm still able to sprint although I can not train in spikes as much as I'd like, when I do, I pay for it.  During my first 2 seasons in '11 and '12, I trained in spikes 80-90% of the time.  Now it's about 10% of the time.

My Clifton 1s are now just used as house slippers, Clifton 2s for short term walking and casual shoes, oldest pair of Clifton 3s are gym and hill shoes, and the last 2 pair of Clifton 3s are still in service on the track.

I guess you could say I'm a supinator, but most sprinters supinate as they contact the ground on the outside of the foot first.  You can see this in any video.

I'm certainly curious about other trainers but I'm really happy with these Clifton 3s.   Hope the Clifton 5 is an improvement or I may have to find something else.  Sure would like to try the Nike Vapor 4% but no shoe is worth $250.




No comments:

Post a Comment