Friday, January 26, 2018

300m / wickets

Windy, sunny and low 50ºs late afternoon at the St. Andrews track.  I had to come to the bleak and windy St. Andrews track because Sewanee's was being used by a lacrosse game.

I did very little today due to the usual foot soreness, just one hard 300, and some wicket drills.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 50m striders 
300m - 42.2 (from the 400m start: curve-straight-curve) 
several wicket sprints 
Happy to have a backup track to train on, even if it's hard like St. Andrews.  It's the highest point in town so it's often windy and unprotected.

I warmed up, and ran one hard, but not all out, 300m.  I set 14,14,14 split goals, was slightly ahead on the first 2 but a half step behind on the last 100m on the turn into the wind.

I did as many 35m wicket sprints as I could stand before I had to shut it down.  With a full speed 4 step acceleration, I just did 10 wickets about then a 15m end sprint.   I am getting the hang of it and can really feel how it forces good mechanics when done right.  It promoted good knee lift, straight ahead movement, minimal time on the ground, and force production to the ground.

Because of the plantar issue, I may have to force myself to train in the pool with aqua running, as much as I dislike it.   It would give me more volume and may be just what I need.  Unfortunately, open pool hours are very limited.

Otherwise, I'm as fit as I can be with the limited track volume I've been doing.  Check this out - weight after workout today: 143.2 lbs.  This is the lightest I've been in several months.

KMS Meet on Sunday
Yes!  I got a great lane, lane 5 last heat.  In my heat looks like a mixed bunch.  Mostly college freshman running their first races.  Two are fast: 49-51, including one from MTSU.  Two are 54ish.  One seems to be a baseball player running indoor track to get in shape.  So, maybe I'll have some guys close to my speed.  The first heat has elites, Calvin Smith (on the US WR indoor 4x400m relay team), and Michael Mathieu (Bahamian Olympic Gold Medalist 4x400m relay, '12).





No comments:

Post a Comment