Saturday, August 22, 2026

Water running, lake swim

Was really surprised to have the lake to ourselves for over an hour... on a Friday with all the students back.  It was a great time.  Did a set of water running then swam the 150 yd lake without stopping.  Glad Roya could be there.

Water running

6 x 60 (R/L) strides with 60 sec rest

150 yd lake swim - 100 (R/L) strokes without stopping

150 yd return swim - easy

It was a decent exercise.  HR max for the water running was only 145, avg 114.  Seemed harder than that.  Of the three types of exercises I did this week, I think the seated bike climb was the best, and the knee felt good afterward.  Will probably do one / week. 

141.4 lbs this morning (Sat).  

Senior citizens now 65 and 66.
 


 

 

6 comments:

  1. What is your cadence climbing? If you weren’t trying to remain seated what percentage would you sit vs stand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My watch doesn't record cadence. If I were pushing it I would still only stand about 20% of the time, but that makes a difference in acceleration and topping the hills

      Delete
    2. Count for 30 seconds multiply by 2. I’m significantly faster on almost any climb of any duration sitting. It’s not even close. Like 1.5 to 2 mph faster. It’s a rare cyclist that climbs faster standing and that cyclist doesn’t fit your profile (sprinter with muscle mass). It’s riders with VO2 max off the charts like Lance Armstrong (and on drugs). The only time it is an advantage for me is on a mostly flat ride with short steep rollers that if you stand and power up can keep the speed in the upper teens as opposed to dropping to 10 or so. And on some mountain bike trails might be very short sections of 15 percent or so. Maybe on really long climbs I might stand for a bit just to be in a different position but I suffer a speed penalty doing so. I have trouble wrapping my mind around why you stand so much (5 minutes) on a 22 min climb it must come back to bike fit or something - not positioned properly to generate sustained high power sitting.

      Delete
    3. Maybe not 5 min, but certainly 3 or so. I always shift up a gear or two when I'm standing, while keeping the same cadence, so I must be going faster

      Delete
    4. On the big hill, stand maybe 10-15%, on the 2.5 mile sprint, definitely more like 20%+, and on 1/4 mile sprint intervals, 80% standing. I generally do a max of 35 R/L strides while standing not usually more while climbing, more on the flat in the 400m sprint .

      Delete
  2. Maybe part of it is that you are not cleated. I think there is a lot of low hanging fruit and room for power improvement in seated position.

    ReplyDelete