Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Water running, swim, bike sprint trial w/ the offloader

 Two days ago, I hit the lake and did a set of water running, and a swim.  Pretty good workout.

Water running

60 (R/L) steps x 6 w/ 1 min rest

Max HR 158

Avg HR 129

Lake swim -  340 yds

I was happy to have the lake by myself. ... since a casual visitor to the lake who would see me water running might think I was struggling, maybe drowning. lol

This morning I tried 'strict' pullups - all from full extension, only 18.  Definitely different than the 'near full extension' pullups I normally do.

Today, I got the DonJoy OA Nano offloader brace today, free with my insurance.  I looked it up, it generally sells for over $600 new.  I tried it out on a bike sprint with some brief standing hills.  Yea, it works.  It seems to prevent 180º full extension - maybe allowing up to just few degrees short of full extension, and corrects the valgus/varus angle, shifting load off the vulnerable compartment.  It has to be worn tight or it doesn't work.  Unlike the Ossur offloader, this one seems pretty solid and doesn't slip.  I think it could even be affixed more securely with K-tape.  Not really super comfortable to be worn for hours.  

I did the usual bike sprint and even though I didn't time it or measure HR, that first hill where I'm standing for 30 - 35 R/L strokes is FAR more engaging to the cardio vascular system than anything I could do in a similar stretch sitting on the saddle.  (True, Joe).  Knee felt great afterward, but I'm not going to dive into standing bike sprints right away.  A little at a time.  

The pretty young nurse that fitted me with the brace just graduated from Auburn and is a friend of  Ja'Kobe Tharp, new world record holder in the 110H, and Adidas track pro.  It was fun talking track.  

I'm definitely eventually going to try running with this thing at some point.  

Still really light, mid 141s this morning.  Meeting postponed so my next blood work postponed til Mon.  

I joined this popular FB group called the "Great Cholesterol Conspiracy" and wow, the debate continues.   Seems to me when you have research tools like Claude AI,  people shouldn't have so much belief in unscientific notions.  More on that next post.  



No comments:

Post a Comment