Monday, August 24, 2026

Bike climb

Sunday, cooler weather, in the 70s, did another seated bike climb, the usual...  up Roark's Cove rd.  Was amazed that it was more than a minute faster than last time and with less effort.  HR over 170 - 5:58 min compared with 9:17 last time.  Avg HR was the same.  

Roark's Cove bike climb  
Total time - 23:38  
Avg speed - 6.0 mph  
Max HR - 182  
HR over 170 - 5:58 
HR over 180 - 0:32  
Avg HR - 160

Felt fine afterwards, rode some more with Roya, stopped at Greens View.

Watching the results come in from World Masters in Daegu.  Miss being there with my colleagues.  It's a magnificent stadium.  

I remember having to park there on the morning of my 400m world indoor final in 2017, because the normal route to the indoor track was closed due to the marathon.  What an intense time that was.  I was lucky to find a bus ride and a good samaritan to get within a half mile of the stadium, so I didn't have to walk 2 miles to my race.  I got there an hour before race time.  during my warmup, I remember texting with a friend who had just successfully beaten bladder cancer.   And what a race it was.  55.17 for Silver, and Benoit beat me in final 40m finishing in 54.39, faster than his M55 national outdoor record which still stands.  I went out in 25.5 in that race.  Probably the peak of my speed as a masters.  Ran 3 rounds of the 200m there, 2 of them in 24.84 and 24.82.  

Looking at it from afar, it just doesn't seem as important as it used to.  Especially with the juxtaposition of seeing videos of the races in that 95% empty stadium.  (Stadium holds 64,000... there might be 1000 in attendance for the WMAC).   John W is unbeatable, at age 67 set another WR in the 100m at 12.03.   I wonder how long he'll be doing it.  He knee was strapped with a ton of K-tape.  

Another friend of mine is 69 and just ran a 5k race in 23 min just 11 mo post op from a total knee replacement.  Too soon imo.  He's really overzealous, I hope he doesn't mess it up.  (I beat him at nationals in the 800m back in '21).  

Today I did a short 20m test run up a hill on my walk.  Felt fine.  Will wait 4 more weeks before I try to run at all.  

141.4 lbs 









 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment