Thursday, August 13, 2026

bike sprint

Back to standing bike sprints with the offloader brace.  I need this fitness level workout.   Not all out PR-seeking, but a strong effort, especially considering the upper 90ºs heat index.  I was going to swim today but I foolishly melted my goggles by mistake in the drier with my towels. So I punished myself on the bike for my misdeed.  

2.5 mile mountain bike sprint - Laurel Branch Trl

Time - 9:54

Avg speed - 13.8 mph

Max HR - 176

Avg HR - 168 (inc 1 min recovery at end) 

HR over 156 - 10:19

HR over 170 - 4:49

I definitely feel this brace was what I needed to resume to stand up biking.  No knee soreness at all.  

After yesterday's first stand up bike sprint with the new brace, it got me using the glutes again and I started feeling the soreness on my sit bone from the old proximal ham injury.  Something I haven't felt in a while.  Need to start doing the band work again on my hams and hip flexors.  

I should have been using this thing a year ago.   Looking forward to my first runs with it in 5-6 weeks.  Hopefully not sooner but I'll be tempted.


Donjoy Nano OA offload brace
Still really light.  ~141 lbs.   

13 comments:

  1. Man that thing is huge. but if it works it’s worth it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a science addiction. Always searching for new equipment, new device, new study, never keeping things simple and natural. Timing, measuring, weighing, compulsively. No patience or respect for your age. Can't accept this new reality if it doesn't include a medal that you can brag about on your blog. Classic narcissist. Pretty sure your sprint career is over. I'm out of here, thanks for years of good sprint training info. The other woke crap you spout is of no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't raced in 2+ yrs, I don't take medals from local meets like a lot of my fellow masters who proudly display their medals on FB where only 2 people enter their age group. So, tell me... if I'm not racing for medals, why am I still training? Yes, science and wellness - definitely a hobby. When someone starts taking issue with science, and throwing out terms like 'woke' ... it doesn't speak well to your intellect and bias.

      Delete
  3. Strange, I have spotted very few athletes esp sprinters, commenting in this blog. A lot of people obsessing in great detail about training, kit and science irrelevant to sprinters. Interesting training regime used by the author, there seems to be no emphasis on a particular approach (Clyde H, Charlie F .....). Not a member of a club as in a regular training environment nor a coach. Has it always been that way ? But whatever you stumbled on seems to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, a fan of Clyde Hart, have taken some stuff from him. Also, Ryan Banta, on intensive tempo intervals - which I think is the single most valuable workout for a 400m sprinter, and the most difficult. I started with Bill Collins training grids, a long to short approach. I basically followed that approach through most of my career. Training summaries for my 3 championship seasons are summarized in a tab at top "training summaries".... more than one page (2015, 2017, 2021)

      Delete
    2. Coaching in master athletics is a cult hanging on to long discredited practices supposedly justified by their claims of their athletes success who in nearly all cases would have been equally successful without them like this blog author

      Delete
    3. Not having a coach requires some trial and error. I really don't know how much a coach could have helped. Maybe a coach would have prevented me from doing too much, over training. For me, training for the 400m was essentially training for the last 100m of a 400m. Executing is a fine line, hard to get it just right. Like in '23 where it took me an entire season to finally run 57 in my last race (at age 63). My time would have won the Championship this year and in most years, but that was an exceptionally competitive yr.

      Delete
    4. Coach would have claimed credit and used it to justify his position in the cult

      Delete
  4. Training at race pace or slightly faster over shorter distances works for a lot of race distances. So intensive tempo over 200-300m makes sense for a 400m runner. Combined with higher v 50-100 efforts makes a lot of sense. Bill Cillins is a bit too much over distance for me but it sure works for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best times over 400 coincided with 800 racing. I was a slowish 400 runner so think the vo2/lactic from 800s optimized my aerobic fitness for the end of a 400.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran the 800m in my 60s as a 'safe' race to train for the 400m. I won Silver at Nationals twice in the 800m and got an invite to the Masters 800m Exhibition race at Hayward in '22. Best I could do was 2:18.

      Delete
  6. Looking at your 100 200 times you have natural speed so need less high v efforts but get most 400 benefits from intensive tempos. I notice you do a lot at race pace - good.

    ReplyDelete