Saturday, August 29, 2026

track, gym - equipment issues, concert season, weird test

Went to the track tonight to do a warmup stretch, some drills, and try the brace out with some high knee running and a few steps of actual running.  Felt ok.  Still not going to try and actually run for a month.  

We went to the gym and I was bummed to see the new glute machines - two of the same kind, down in the varsity gym and inaccessible to me.  This is a new policy that occurred after renovation and new equipment.  I had been waiting for these forever.   I doubt they'll give me special permission to go in there.  It's a card swipe and I think the students go in as a team.  Not sure.   I know the track coach and the AD but I think that was his idea, so not going to ask, but I will tell him I'm disappointed to see both those machines down there.  They won't get used so much that they need two.  It's a stupid gym... has nothing but bars and weights down in this 'varsity gym' ... they have about a dozen benches, free weights, some plyo boxes, the glute machine is the only machine in there or one of the few.  All the machines are upstairs in the 'public area'.  It sucks, not what it used to be.  

I did get an ok workout tonight.  At least they have leg press, leg extension, ham curl, abductor machines, and a bench and some free weights.  The usual machines for upper body but nothing for back and abs.  Rowers are downstairs and accessible. 

They also have wheeled weight sleds.  Would not be a bad idea to start pushing those. 

Music

Anyway, the music thing is snowballing.  So far, 3 concerts set up for the next 5+  weeks.  One of the most important concerts in a long while for me is 7 weeks from Mon.  On Oct 19th, I will present likely the first ever faculty guitar and lute recital in the famous Sewanee All Saints chapel.  This is actually the first public announcement of this event being confirmed.  The way this community supports music, the rarity of the event and the way Sewanee publicizes things, I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd there is 4x that of my MTSU concert the following night. 

I need to nail these and I need to get diligent.  The 10,000 hour principle works.  Really getting my technique back to virtuoso level.  It's absolutely required to execute music as difficult as some of the music I'll be playing, particularly the Rameau.  Haven't performed it in at least 15 yrs.  

More Tests  

These my PCP ordered long ago.   Standard lipid panel.  LDL went up 115 to 132 but Trig down 157 to 130m which was good.  HDL also up from 35 to 42, improving my ratio.  Still waiting for 2 more but here's the weird one.... my fasting glucose.  

The BIG MYSTERY.  Glucose was Extreme: 166.  Must have been lab error.  Claude Ai thinks it was because I was less than an hour after a huge concert I did for the Music School convocation, and Claude thinks it was an "acute stress event".   I would say yes, it was very stressful, but it went well, and I felt 100% relaxed by the time I had blood taken, but Claude is sticking with the theory.  I call BS on the machines.  Lab error.  Claude sticks with his own kind.  Could be human error too.   My A1c was normal, 5.6.  I was absolutely 12 hour fasted, just water with a squeeze of lemon (few drops)... for 12+ hrs.  Last night I was so hungry, I ate sweetened dried fruit, nuts, chocolate and an hour after I tested glucose at 108 (my home kit).  The only time I ever measured glucose close to that high was after a very hard track workout.  Anyway, will try to remember to repeat the test after a similar situation.  Very strange.  I test a lot.  I'm usually about 100-105 in the morning and it goes down throughout the day if I don't eat which I usually don't til noon or after.  Before dinner it usually below 100.  

Anyway, hope it's not some 'condition.'


No comments:

Post a Comment