Sunday, April 14, 2024

2x300,200, 60s

 First warm day for a workout, variably cloudy, mid 70ºs and windy.  Did a conditioning workout today as I took limited rest between my long sprints.  Was going to do a 3x3w/3 but I started too fast and ran two, then a 200m.

Stretches, drills, bands, 100m

100m - 14.50

Hoka rocket X2s on

300m, 3 min rest, 300m, 7 min rest, 200m - 46.32, 48.17, 28.51

3 x 60m (first 2 rolling, 3rd from the line) - 7.78, 7.48, 8.10

I felt I should do some short speed so I ran a few 60s, the first cautious and the second, hard.   Ran one from the line from a crouch.  Could use some work on my acceleration, something I almost never work on.  

Here's the heart rate data from my optical arm sensor (certified as highly accurate by Engineer Joe E. Page).   I knew I wouldn't get 3 because during my 3min recovery, my HR only went down to 150.  Note the spikes shortly after each interval where max HR was recorded during the walk back.  (You can see it more clearly on the second graph that shows both HR and running cadence).  Not real confident with the cadence indicator, probably some latency.  They make a shoe pod for a more accurate reading.  My highest HR was 185 after my 200m during my walk back.   That's the max I've yet recorded.    

















Afterward, went for a hike, now at the peak of wildflower bloom.  It was good.  Needed to lose a few lbs.  I've definitely gained a 2 lbs.  I can feel it, but can correct it in a few days.  Definitely not in the aerobic shape I had attained by early March.  Can still feel the injury a little so may take 2 consecutive days off from the track.  

140.7 lbs after workout.

Purple Phacelia wildflowers at the peak.  

















Penn Relays

Still need some significant conditioning work to race a 400m.   The Thursday Masters Penn schedule is ridiculous: 

11:58 - 4x100 
12:26 - Masters 100 
1:00 - 4x400

At least I'll only have to warm up once.  They want me to anchor the relays, which is a lot of pressure, especially in a close race.  I've always had nightmares about losing a 4x4 as anchor.  Has never happened, hopefully it won't.  We should be considerably behind the top team which is pretty much an all star team.  Actually, would much rather get the stick at anchor behind than ahead.

7 comments:

  1. Trellis. And patio. Include units on x axis so time scale is visible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind the pace overlay provides what I was looking for. This is cleaner data. Third interval looks like it has a little noise but much improved. I was going to suggest to reapply it before each interval as previously the first looks better.

    With respect to the peak after you finish - I’ve noticed for years if not decades the difference in apparent breathlessness during immediate post race interviews of elite sprint vs elite middle distance runners. Middle distance runners are quickly recovered. Sprinters still huffing. Probably because anaerobic mechanism use oxygen a lot less efficiently and the demand is delayed as it takes O2 to replenish ATP stores. Since they have such anaerobic potential it takes awhile to replenish so they are still huffing while being interviewed. So I think that is what is happening with your delayed peak. Replenishing the expended anaerobic stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Poor aerobic ability. I have to fight tooth and nail for months for every little bit of V02 max I get And it goes away quickly

      Delete
    2. Based on your 5k and 800m times your aerobic ceiling and capability is that of a average or better than average aerobic master athlete. Lower VO2 max doesn't explain elite sprinters being still winded in post race interviews, their VO2 max is nearly 50 which is good. Must be the ability to go so anaerobicly deep.

      Delete
  3. Does the dip in HR prior to the peak correspond to sitting after you walked to the start line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I made note on the COROS website that Engineer JEPage of Micron certified this heart rate monitor as extremely accurate

      Delete
    2. Then keep walking to the start of the next interval it will aid your recovery. In theory.

      Delete