Friday, June 30, 2023

A little heat

Pre race day, went out to sweat a little, but it really wasn't that hot.  85º, heat index about 92º, it felt fine in the shade.   In some ways, this was the best I've ever felt after a workout.  Didn't do much, but it felt very good to run a little 'not fast.'   I did put the spikes on and ran one 200m race pace and it was perfect.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, massage gun

400m jog ~ 80

100m - 18.5

Adidas spikes on

200m - 26.91 (13.08, 13.83)

I worked up a good sweat and really wanted to do more, but decided to call it a day.  Everything felt good, even my feet.  I needed the day off I guess.   

138.0 lbs after workout.  Perfect.  Was a bit worried because I went to bed last night at 143.5, probably mostly water from the watermelon.  Even after dinner - 2 egg sandwich and some almond butter seed crackers, fruit, and lots of iced milk and coffee - I was still under 140 lbs. 

Ready to roll.  Tomorrow, I expect they'll combine age groups because of small turnout and whimps that cancel due to the heat.  They'll probably put me with Calvin, who is 10+ yrs younger and an elite M50 guy (Silver at Nationals) who has run 54.  Tomorrow I expect he'll run 56ish, so if I can stay close to him, I might be able to run a good time.  The task is clear, need to break 59.  What I've lost in speed in the past two years, maybe I can make up for with execution.   The 400m is always hit or miss for me.   

Amazing how good it feels to do a little slow running.  Maybe I should do this every week?  Don't get me wrong, it's still a chore to run even an 80 sec 400m in the heat, I worked up a little sweat.  

Forecast for race time:  94º, heat index 106º, dewpoint 75º.   It's the dewpoint that's the killer.  Still, could be worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment