Monday, June 5, 2023

3x300 tempo


Upper 70s, calm winds, and a bit more humid this evening at the Marist track for my final workout before returning to Sewanee.  Dialing back the speed for some tempo grind.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 100m, bands

100m - 15.31

3 x 300m w/ 3 min rest -  47.40, 48.40, 50.78 (48.86 avg)

Hoka trainers on

200m, 150m w/ 1 min rest - 31.50, 24.10

It was hard as usual.  No chance I was going to run 4.  My heart rate was in the upper 150s 3 min after my 3rd 300.   My best set of 4x300 in Feb was avg 50.02, back when I was training a lot of consecutive days and my weight was dipping below 138.  I think maybe it's better to stick with 3 and just do them faster.  

After 20+ min rest I massaged my foot and did another short set in my Hokas, not fast.  I was really spent.  

Sewanee weather looks awesome rest of the week.  Upper 70ºs and sunny, mid 50ºs at night.  Time to start pushing the pace.  Next time maybe an even split 400 around 62, ramping up some 200s in the 26s. 

About race weight now, 138.5 after workout.  




5 comments:

  1. Looking ready to rip. Check out my 1500 calorie breakfast - doing TRF restricting to 6AM and 6PM. Upped calories and hitting the weights trying to add some mass up 1.5 lbs in 3 weeks. Hopefully TRF will lower baseline insulin and blood glucose levels and stop the progression towards T2D. May try some fasts.

    https://youtu.be/Y7aSAhLKSaI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never eat early in the AM because I tend to eat dinner late especially in sp/summer. Assuming I workout at 6pm, I'll eat something small about noon, like a piece of bread with almond butter or some nuts. (I don't eat bread until I get down to near my target weight). I definitely don't eat as many vegetables when I'm alone as opposed to being with Roya, 'the great salad maker.' Usually fish or chicken and vegetables (raw and/or roasted). I do drink a lot of organic skim milk and juice diluted with water (orange, pomegranate, cherry) and it doesn't seem to put weight on me like starchy carbs. I really do think there are great anti-aging properties of calorie restrictions. I never really feel hungry due to drinking sweet caffeinated beverages, typically iced coffee with skim milk and zero cal sweetener (purecane). I'll drink a gal of skim milk a week, all of it with coffee.

      Delete
    2. I think I need many, many, many more calories than you. It’s really hard to eat all that I ate for breakfast in that video, literally 1500 calories, and I eat that much again in the evening at dinner, or nearly that much. No way I could eat 3000 calories in one sitting so have to eat more than once daily. So if I eat once daily I would lose weight, which I should avoid as I’m 154 lbs at 73 inches (morning). Yes fasting does some good things metabolically. Should be easier for me to fast 24 hrs now with 2x daily eating and no other sources of calories- just skip a meal. 36 or 48 hrs would be tough.

      Delete
  2. With respect to longevity, hyperinsulinemia should be avoided. Constant stream of juices results in insulin release to keep blood glucose in check. Over time this results in insulin resistance. Additionally your training results in gluconeogenisis (conversion of amino acids and or fatty acids to glucose) which again elicits an insulin response. I’m repurposing metformin (popular med among the life extension crowd) from bed time to before intense workouts to blunt the blood glucose rise. Also the 2x daily eating (or 1x daily) point is to reduce blood insulin levels so calories, especially simple sugars, are contraindicated. (For T2d prevention and longevity)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, I use the term hyperinsulinemia illustratively - hyperinsulinemia has a specific definition which neither of us has. The point is chronically elevated insulin to suppress blood glucose rise from carbohydrates, especially simple carbohydrates, should be avoided. There is compelling evidence that it is a contributing factor to CVD as well as T2D.

    ReplyDelete