Friday, January 13, 2023

shake out and a few starts

At the indoor track this evening with my new Hoka MD spikes and blocks.  Did very little... a full warmup, some bands, and some starts.  

My foot felt exceptionally sore tonight.  Doing 2 long sprints in spikes on Wed didn't help. Maybe I really shouldn't be doing these aggressive bike climbs on my off days from running.   They do seem to strengthen the quads, provide some good traditional cardio, and burn calories, but they still stress my foot.   It's kind of like running a hard 5K on my day off.  I did these on Tue and Thurs this week.  Assuming I make it through outdoor season, it's a long season and I need to rest this foot a bit more on off days.  Maybe one bike day a week, maybe some flat sprints instead of just climbs.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drill, bands, 3x50

3 starts from blocks

Hoka spikes on

3x50m from blocks 

With the 50m sprints from blocks, I accelerated the way I would in a 400m.   The Hokas felt really great at cruising speed - 400m race pace.  I don't know if that means I'm running faster, but it feels really different from the other spikes I wear.  They are a bit loose compared to my other spikes, but my toe goes all the way to the end and I can lock them down with the laces.  I wear them without socks without a hint of abrasion.   Unlike all other racing spikes, they have a flatish toe and plenty of toe room.  Don't know how they'll feel on tight indoor turns.  Will probably try them in a race on Sunday, if I go.   They are lighter than they look.  Much lighter than my first Nike competition spikes 11 yrs ago.  

Been eating more lately, 139.1 lbs.


1 comment:

  1. If you aren’t wearing good bike shows cycling can cause issues with your feet for sure.

    ReplyDelete