Tuesday, January 10, 2023

bike climb PR

My first bike climb with the Cervelo.   The thing I noticed the most was that it's so much easier to pedal standing up when climbing.  On the steel bike, I can get 15 full strokes before I get tired on the steeps and have to sit back down.  On the Cervelo, I can stay on my feet for 30+ strokes on the steep.   The bike has a 11-28 cassette on the rear hub.  28 may be too small for a low gear on the long climbs so I'm putting on a 11-34 cassette.   Hope it's not overkill.  Comes with a slight weight penalty but only about 4oz.  

Anyway, I did in a PR of about 19:30m, a minute faster than I've ever done with the steel bike.  I really put out, tried hard.  Probably started out too fast.   But I think I can do better in warmer weather with better pacing.   It was cold and I was wearing a jacket.   

I am light.  I confirmed this on my home beam scale.  137.3 lbs after workout.  When I get this lean, I almost have to force myself to eat because my hunger is completely satisfied with a piece of bread with almond butter and a cup of tea. I have no appetite after eating just a small snack.  I'm approaching the lightest I've been as an adult.    

Got the Hoka Crescendo cushioned spikes.  They are extremely comfortable and weigh almost identical to the Nike MaxFlys.  I got them in  size 7, Nikes are 6.5.     Could easily wear them without socks.  That itself would save an ounce total.  However, I don't think they have the snap of the MaxFlys but they do make me 1/4" taller than the MaxFlys.  I'm not sure if I'll ever race in them.  The MaxFlys are getting broken in and I may race without socks next time.  

Workout tomorrow, forecast to be 54º, cloudy, 30% chance rain, S wind.   Thinking about race pace 250s tomorrow.  

8 comments:

  1. What are the front chain ring tooth counts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 50-34. My steel bike has a 50-40-30 triple crank so low gear is 30 front 34 back. 34-34 isn't as low as 30-34, but it doesn't need to be on this bike. My mountain bike low gear is 28-34

      Delete
  2. 50/34 is expected. Sometime in the early 2000’s the standards switched from 53/49 to 50/34, maybe pros and super strong amateurs still ride 53/49. Anyway a 34/28 should be a small enough gear for a average 60 year old master (competitive) cyclist for nearly any climb. 8 MPH should be maintained at 80 RPM (7.96 MPH by the math). If there are short sections steeper and slow a bit that is ok. Just watch your rpm on your bike computer and ride at least 80 Rpm if you can’t maintain that for 80 percent plus of the climb then yes change out the cassette. Downside to the 11-38 cassette is greater jumps between gears. Cycling is more than climbing and if you limit yourself to climbing you won’t get the maximum cross over benefits for sprinting. Probably better to ride varied terrain and power up over short climbs than a steady grade climb. And more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is 80 rpm for a 11-28 at 10 percent grade for age similar average master cyclist at 10 percent grade. Assume you should be average in cycling.

      Delete
    2. Also, I've never used bike shoes. Flat pedals and toe straps with the old bike, now just using a Shimano PD-RS500 SPD-SL as a flat pedal without a strap, upside down. Need to figure something out with that.

      Delete
    3. I can not maintain 8mph up long steeps with the 34-28. And I doubt I can do it with any cassette. More like 6.5 - 7.

      Delete
    4. A good pair of clipless pedals will help but important to get ones with float to protect knees. Also proper bike shoes that have the right stiffness to transfer power. https://www.sram.com/en/time-sport/models/pd-xpro-10-a1

      Delete
  3. Obviously you would climb faster if your focus was cycling. Counter intuitively climbing improves with less climbing and more variation. Track training utilizes multiple distance and rest schemes to stimulate improvement of different energy systems. Same with cycling. Different routes and varied terrains are important. Terrain that is mostly flat with a few short climbs allows peak power to get over the climbs then recovery. Actually harder to learn to ride flats fast than to climb fast. But if you are fast on flats and light you climb very, very well.

    ReplyDelete