Friday, January 6, 2023

Progress comes slowly - meet report

Today's meet at the Birmingham Crossplex was one of the most surreal meets I've attended.  I didn't achieve my goal of running under 59, but I improved 1/3 sec from last meet.

Progress comes slowly.  59.42 today.  I still wasn't as aggressive as I could have been, my splits were estimated to be roughly 28/31 and some change.  I did not rig in the end, unlike my first indoor meets in March of '21 where I was going out hard in 26+ and rigging most of the time.  That season I ran 57.81, 58.12, and 58.50.  But that was March, and I know it's only Jan. 6 ...  9 weeks to nationals and 11 to Poland.  Time to improve.

I say that the meet was surreal because I have never been at a meet in such a grand facility as the Crossplex with so few people.  It wasn't unlike the Louisville masters meet in '21.  The last meet I attended here had easily a thousand competitors of all ages.  Today there were a total of 50, all ages!  It was soooo nice.  I had the warmup track to myself for 30 min.  Duran was supposed to be here and in my heat but he didn't show.   (Duran is "The Freeze" character at Atlanta Braves BB games).  So, I ran alone.  

I'm happy to have improved but I still feel it was a wasted opportunity.  Conditions were ideal, lane 5, no one to interfere, just a solo time trial.     I have another shot in 9 days but chances of getting a good lane and running unimpeded are slim in the college meet.   

Looks like tomorrow will be the nicest day for a while, so maybe I'll do a tempo or over distance in the evening. 

Yea, there actually is a track meet going on here...



 


No comments:

Post a Comment