Saturday, January 21, 2023

400m, 150m, weight pulls

Upper 40ºs, but sunny and light to calm winds.  Felt pretty good out today and my foot felt ok so I put on the Hoka spikes for a 400m event run.  I really wanted to break 59 today but was disappointed.  Still don't have the last 100m.  It may be a while before I get it.  It wasn't until March of '21 did I run 58, and one 57.81.  By the end of March '21, I ran 57.90 in training shoes.  I'm looking carefully at those months training.  I ran a 60.88 on Jan 12, '21 in trainers.  And I made a lot of progress from then on through the next 6 weeks.  

I probably would've done better today to do hard 150 repeats or a hill workout, but I needed to see where I am.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100, bands

Hoka spikes on

400m - 60.06 (13.19, 14.52, 15.17, 17.18 /  27.71, 32.35)

150m - 20.26

Hoka trainers on 

4x60m sprints on turf w/ 45 lb weight 

bike sprints on flat

I don't have the last 100m.  I was close to my target splits on the first three 100s, but really rigged toward the end in the last 100m.  Was hoping for a 28/31, instead 27.7/32.3.  Then I ran an up tempo 150m, not particularly super fast but about 400m race pace.  Soon after I got the harness out and did some 60m sprints on turf pulling the 45lb barbel.  I could have done more but I wanted to try the new bike shoes.

The bike shoes were pretty amazing, never have felt anything quite like it, especially the way the quads are engaged.   I was pretty tired but still pushed up over 27 mph on a few short flat sprints on the bike.

Seem unusually sore in the glute and hams.  Don't know why it's taking so long to recover.  Rainy day tomorrow, will do resistance and go back Monday to the track.  

I just need to keep my nose to the grindstone and do as much as I can.  Doing these types of all out 400s are not the best use of time.  Such  event runs are better later in the season.   It's going to take every bit of the 10 weeks I have left before Poland to reach a competitive level, and even then, chances are slim that I'll medal.  It could be my last world meet and will definitely be my last til '26.   It's really hard to imagine myself 3 years from now at 66.  

I learned today my chances to medal in Poland are really slim, due to the fact that not only is the World Champion John coming, but the Silver Medalist Mike V. just blew me out of the water today with a stunning indoor 57.88.  That was just a shade over my best indoor time in '21 in March, and he did it in Jan, with no blocks!  He is actually faster this year than last year.  Everyone has their peak and he and John are so far above everyone, with the possible exception of Darren who is just coming in to M60.   I'm definitely an 'also-ran' at this point in my age group.   If it weren't for covid robbing me of my M60 year, I could have had another few championships.   I'm fairly certain I would have medaled on the world level in '21, having held the fastest time in the world for almost 2 yrs.  My 56.23 is still the second fastest time since covid hit 3 yrs ago.     Anything can happen in Masters competition, but it's going to be an accomplishment to make the Final in this field.  

139.5 lbs after workout.  



2 comments:

  1. Cool that you liked the bike shoes. A great bike sprint workout is to find a rectangular shapped
    route where the longer sections are just long enough
    to wind up to high speed and finish with a short
    sprint kick, roll the corner soft pedal to the next
    longer straight away, and repeat. Rest periods
    are kind of short so typically build speed and intensity
    with each lap until you can't tolerate it. Also
    try on one of the longer straights to stay seated
    the whole time and the other one to sprint out of saddle.

    Your climbing should improve markedly with the shoes.

    Good luck on your prep for Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of timer do you use to measure your splits when you are doing intervals?

    ReplyDelete