Friday, November 26, 2021

cold tempo

Clear and cold today at the Sewanee track, 37º mid afternoon with a NE wind.  3rd workout in 5 days and I'm feeling a little more fit, although bit off a bit more than I could handle with this tempo set as I bailed on my 4th 300m.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m

3 x 300m, 150m, 150m w/ 3 min rest - 49.50, 50.84, 53.74, 26, 23.97

200m hill sprint - 42

I started this set too ambitiously with a 49, 50.  By the 3rd I had doubts I would finish 4 so I bailed halfway on my 4th at 150m, rested 3 min, and ran another 150m.   If I had run a 4th 300, it would have been over 55.  So instead of breaking down in my last 150, I rested 3 min and ran a faster 150m.   Then I went to the hill and ran a 200m hill sprint.  No sign of the pubalgia issue, it's healed.  My right foot is my limiting factor and I'm usually good for 1200m + per workout.  

Looking back to last year, I wasn't doing regular overdistance and tempo sets every week.  The week of Thxgiving last yr I biked Raccoon Mtn 6 days that week, no running.  So... maybe... I might go to Birmingham and run a 400m race in about 16 days, just to see where I am.  A goal of breaking 59 might be good this early.   Indoor season is already well underway in Scandinavia, there was a big indoor Masters Championship meet in Sweden 2 weeks ago and it's providing the first 2022 indoor season rankings.  When I won my first indoor championship in 2012, I started the season by running 2 400s in 59 in Jan., but improved to 55.90 by mid Feb to win the Gold.  So, 59 would be an ok start.

Also, worried about the covid situation as the 'omichron variant' emerges, whether it will twart any of our championships upcoming in NY and Finland.  Too many moronic covid vaccine / science deniers in the US,  it will spread if it gets here.  

Considering the Thnxgivin holiday, my weight is really good.  140.8 lbs after workout.  This year we made a very thick rich Persian chicken dish called Fesenjan.  It is chicken with a stew made with pomegranate syrup, plums, and walnuts.  So, heavy that a small amount satisfies.  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment