Friday, October 22, 2021

Beginning again

After 12 days of no running, I began again today, very slowly.  Not wanting to reverse the progress I've made on my pubalgia ab/groin strain,  I put a governor on and did not sprint, but ran 800s on my heels, no faster than 20 sec / 100m pace, and slower.  I was dreading this workout because I knew it would be unpleasant.  Glad to get it done.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m

2 x 800m - 2:53.8, 2:55.8

It was hard but not that taxing.   I feel I'm ahead of where I was in 2011 when I had this same issue.  That year, I didn't run during October, and I started Nov 1.  When I did, I was doing long foundation runs, up to 2 miles, and slower 800m repeats at 3:15 and slower.  I was also heavier.  By early Dec '11, I was doing my first 300m tempo interval workouts, but slower (50-55 sec) with short rest (2min).  I was still doing a lot of foundation in Dec.   Big sessions like 5 x 800m, mile runs in 6:25 - 6:50, etc...  I won't do that much volume these days.   That year, 2012, I started racing in early Jan, but my first races were slow, like 59.  I improved to 57.57 by the end of Jan, and stayed in that range until mid Feb. when I ran 55.90 and won my first USATF Nat'l Masters Championship at I.U. indoors.

Today, I started wearing my brand new Clifton 3s.  A little heavier than the Clifton 1s I like to sprint in, but good for this long slow foundation work.  I hiked in my older Clifton 3s this past weekend.  

I may go out Sunday to do more foundation, maybe some hills.  Long hard road ahead.   

143.5 lbs after workout.

2 identical Clifton 3 pairs... one new, one well worn.  They both started out the same color: 


1  


No comments:

Post a Comment