Saturday, July 3, 2021

The V12 Summer Games debacle / hill sprints

 This ranks up there with the worst and most unprofessional cancellation I've seen in my masters track career.   The meet was cancelled, by email, received at 9:58 am, Saturday ... exactly 2 minutes before the track meet was set to begin.   This meet had a decent registration, including some elite high schoolers, some possibly coming from afar.  

It rained all morning, but by the meet start time, the rain had stopped and the weather for FL in July was about as good as it could be, upper 70s, fair, cloudy.   The minute I arrived at Wildwood HS, I knew there was a problem.  The stands were empty, all the gates locked, and nothing going on.  I was only able to approach the track from the apartment complex next door.  I then looked at my email and saw the news.  I was livid.   I couldn't believe it.  They must have made the decision to cancel hours before ... no timers tents set up, nothing.   There were a few people there, some parked at the back gate.  I wonder if I was the last to find out.   

This ranks up there with the Mason Dixon Games cancelation in 2008. 

-------------------------------------------

Well anyway ... I found I could race next Sat in Birmingham if I want to.  Maybe I will.   

Wanting to get a workout in, I went to the local soccer field so I warmed up and ran a little.  It was too wet and uneven to sprint on turf, so I went to back to may parents house and did a hill sprint workout near their house on the sidewalk.  I needed it, hadn't trained since Wednesday.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 150m on turf

10 x 150m hill sprints ~ 28-30 sec

A real tough substantial workout. Took ~ 3-4 min rest between.   I was toasted after 6 or 7, the last 2 were fairly brutal.  Sweaty.

138.2 lbs after workout



No comments:

Post a Comment