Saturday, July 17, 2021

PTC meet report

Well at least I'm consistent.  Today gives me confidence that I can run 57.59 even with a less than well executed race.  It didn't seem like I went out too fast, but I sure rigged in the end at least 30m out.  I consider this a B-game performance.  That makes four 400s all within a 0.10:  57.49, 57.54, 57.58, 57.59.

For Alabama in July, you couldn't ask for much better conditions... 82º, humid but cloudy.  No rain.   The only thing that unnerved me a little was that they combined male and female masters and open in one heat.  I was running in the outside lane of 3 competitors, with a collegiate freshman woman just to my inside, Jakiesha.  I kind of let my pride influence me ... did NOT want to get beat by this woman and that maybe influenced me to go out too fast.  Lesson learned.    (I beat her by 70m+ ... she ran a 66).  I never saw anyone the whole race.  

I felt ready for this race but was a tad sore this morning after yesterday's speed workout, probably because I only slept 3 hrs and didn't get the overnight 'repair' that I needed.   It was because my carpal tunnel issue, but I'm getting yet another shot on Monday.  That will solve the issue for the summer.  

Nationals
I know this is bad karma, but I'm going to say it... I think the time I ran today would win Nationals easily.  There may be an unknown elite lurking in the large field that I don't know about (like David P. in '18), but I really doubt it. The fact is, no one entered has run a bonafide sub 60 sec time in 2 yrs.  But that doesn't mean someone won't.  The prelims will speak for themselves.  I even thought I might put a max effort into the prelim to have 2 chances to go under 57, but coach Stephen G. said that would be "idiotic".  I do want to make a statement in the prelims and run in the 58-59s to be sure I get a good lane.  

I raced today at about 139.5 - 140 lbs which I think is probably my best race weight.  

At this point, I really need to rest and heal ... so I can go into Nationals with no aches and pains.  Rainy cool weather for the next 2 days.  I don't know... maybe some swimming or water running?  Definitely stretching, core, and prehab band work.  

I'm so hell bent on breaking 57 this yr, if I don't do it in IA, I may consider even some late season meets.  



No comments:

Post a Comment