Saturday, July 17, 2021

speed and blocks

 Yesterday, it was quite warm at the Sewanee track... low 80ºs but felt like mid 80ºs, partly cloudy and calm winds.  I ran a  few 400m race pace sprints and worked on my start.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, massage gun, 2 x100

100m (3 step rolling) - 12.93

100m (standing start) - 12.84

200m from blocks - 26.53 (13.13, 13.40)

Puma spikes on

10x starts from blocks

The pace was just about right for a 400m in my 200m, maybe just a few tenths hot.  Running 12.84 from a standing start in a 100m tells me my speed is there.   

My starts were ok.  There seems to be a sweet spot in the set position and I've found I get more forward lean and power if I have a little more weight on my hands than balanced on all 4s.  Clearly, the first thing to move at the gun is the hands.  That is why I use an aggressive arm push at the start... unconventional but it works for me.  It keeps me from stumbling and keeps me low.  I talked to UK sprinter about this, Pat L.  who is even shorter than me, and told me he keeps his head very low to the ground at set.  

Was 138.3 lbs after workout.

It's Saturday morning as I write this and race day in Huntsville.  Looks to be an unseasonably cool but rainy day.  No telling when I'm going to race but there are only 2 masters/open people registered for the 400m and we've been put together.  If he bails, I may run alone or with the 17-18yr olds.  If I had a choice, I'd rather run alone in my assigned lane 6, than run in lane 1 with the kids. 

Just a tad sore this morning, as a result of not a good long healing sleep... due to the carpal tunnel.  I'm getting a shot on Monday which will get me through Nationals and the rest of the summer and then some, I hope.  I've become aware of how important sleep is in healing.  If I sleep long I also burn more calories... I can lose 3 lbs overnight in a long sleep.  Last night, not.  I probably got 3-4 hrs in two shifts.  So, in a multi-day nationals meet, sleep is important.  I'm racing 5x in 4 days IF I don't run the 100m.  Still thinking I might run the 100m prelims just to have the option.  BUT... it's supposed to be brutally hot in Ames, no chance of rain, sunny and heat index 92-95º, and a bit windy.  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment