Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Plans

Wonderful to be back in the Sewanee paradise.  It's been unbelievably nice from the moment I got back at 3:30am on Monday, slipped into the hot tub and looked at the picturesque moonlit fog-filled cove.   It this real?  Feeling very thankful.  

Monday, I did absolutely nothing physical, except my usual 21 pullups on the bar.  Tuesday, I swam across lake Jackson, had the place to myself, water was super warm, probably 85º.  Then in the evening, I biked up Roarkes Cove.  

Today, I'm going to do my first light running workout since Nationals.  I'm going to keep it on the turf. Maybe a set of 100s or 150s.  

Thursday, I'm taking the boat to Raccoon Mtn to do the bike climb with Bill.

So... why am I still running?   I'm thinking about one more meet:  Ontario Masters Championships in Toronto, Aug 13-15.   This is a bit tricky because of the border situation. The Trudeau government announced last week that Canada will begin allowing fully vaccinated Americans to enter the country for discretionary travel on Aug. 9. But that could be complicated by Unions representing 8,500 staffers with the Canada Border Services Agency have voted “overwhelmingly” in favor of strike actions that could begin as soon as next week, their leaders announced Tuesday.   

Why run in this meet?  Well, the Ontario Masters has a 50 yr history and established meet records that allow US athletes to compete and record meet records.  All of the M60 meet records in the 3 sprints are within my capabilities, especially the 400m, which is a 32 yr old record held by the legendary Canadian masters, Earl Fee.   The M60 meet records are:  59.00 - 400m (1989), 25.94 - 200m (2004), 12.63 - 100m (2016).    I feel like it's taken so long to get in this shape, why waste it?

I have not committed, but I need to within a week or so.  I plan to do this in conjunction with my visit to Florida, and fly out of Orlando for the weekend.  It's risky, because the border situation is fluid.  

I'll make my decision sometime by Monday or so.  I want to do some running workouts and see how it feels.  Just a few more hard workouts will help me maintain what I have.  








I think today, I might start unpacking my suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment