Saturday, July 10, 2021

Birmingham East Side Track Invitational meet report

I almost didn't go to this meet.  I thought I might just stay in Sewanee and do an 800m event run, but I'm glad I went.  Not feeling like I wanted to get up early and run a 400m, I raced the 800m for a workout and I did get a new PR, although just short of my goal of 2:18.   

800m -  2:19.02

Yea, 2:18.96 would've been better, but oh well.  Still best time this year of any American registered to race the 800m at Nationals.  World Ranking is at #6, USA #2.   (really #7, #3 because Anselm hasn't posted his 2:13 time yet).  So.... this is how a 61 yr old celebrates a birthday: driving 170 miles to central AL to race a bunch of teenagers in an 800m in 90º weather ...



















I left about 10:30, got there about 12:30, pretty good time for 170 miles.  I was thinking I might be late but the meet was dragging on.   I didn't race til almost 2 hrs later.  It was hot, about 90º by race time, and shade was almost non-existent.  I was able to get my car above the track so I could watch for the first few heats of the 800m, then walk in and get ready.  Great thing about an 800m, you don't need much warmup, since you're never running any faster than 15 - 16 sec 100m pace.  

I was the only masters in the 800m in the entire meet, so I ran with the M17-18 yr olds.  There were some studs in this group, state meet level athletes.  The winner ran 1:57, and a few others close to 2:00.  I was hoping to get a real 800m race experience, but they used a damn waterfall start and it was crazy, absolute mayhem,  particularly since I was in lane 1.  They when out really fast and at the start, I had 5 or 6 guys directly in front of me, made contact with the person in front, almost tripped, had to slow down.  Some got spiked, bled.  I asked them if waterfall starts were normal in HS meets, they all said yes.  They only start in lanes at state meet. 

I used my Gymboss for pace, and set a goal of 2:18.   I found myself way ahead of pace at the 200m mark.  They went out in like 28, me about 31 - 32, which was way too fast.  I did the first quarter in about 66.5.  Then started dropping off.  Last quarter was probably about 72.5.   I did give it everything on the last 100m and really thought I had a 2:18.  Can't believe I missed by 0.03.   I beat just one guy, but hey... didn't finish last, and I'm their grandparent's age.  Anyway, if we run in lanes at Nationals like we should, I should be able to take a second off my time with an unimpeded start.

So, last week of training starts tomorrow.  Strong storms are predicted, ending toward evening, and really very cool weather for the week ... only in the 70ºs next 3 days.  I need to do one more day of overdistance, one more good hard tempo set, and some strength like hills and weight pulls.  I may race a 400m on Sat.  as a time trial at a meet near Murfreesboro.  

Weight was good today, was probably in the 138s for the race.  



No comments:

Post a Comment