Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Afternoon shake out, meet considerations

Cloudy, humid, and mid 70ºs in Sewanee this afternoon.  This cooler weather is not real good preparation for what I'll be facing in Iowa.  The forecast is unrelenting.  Peak Heat Index of 100º both Friday and Saturday for Ames, IA.   That's worse than it was in Jacksonville in '15.  I'm not real sure I've ever raced in conditions any hotter.  I'm bringing my ice vest so that'll help.

Today, I did a shake out and just light workout,  nothing fast.  I spent some time practicing and pacing my 800m toe the line start and running the first 100 and 200m at desired pace.  I was a little under.  Shooting for somewhere around 32-33 for the first 200m.  Try for splits of 66 / 71.  But today, I just worked on the start.  Unfortunately, my right foot was sore but everything else, fine.  Weird, because I felt fine yesterday.  Maybe because I didn't sleep enough last night.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, roller, 2 x 100m

100m on turf - 15.96

2 x 100m from 800m start - 15.97, 15.31

200m  from 800m start - 31.59

The 100s and 200m from the 800m start were a hair under goal, but fine.  Since I'll be racing with my timer, do I stay with my goal splits, or should I stay in the pack and save myself for the final 100?  I'll probably try to run my race, and if it's from the front, so be it.  There should be one Canadian out front if he comes.  

138.9 lbs after workout.  Tomorrow travel, so that's it.  Thursday, 400m prelims.  

USATF Nationals: Meet considerations

It really comes down to - try and medal in 4 events, or try to win the most championships.  I think running the 100m final before the 800m will diminish my chances to win the 800m.  That's one decision.  Running 3 races in 5 hrs in near 100º heat will not be conducive to peak performances.  

It's declaration time and declarations close tomorrow night in the 400m.   It would be a gift not to have to run a prelim, but that is highly doubtful considering the number registered.

So, if I run all four individual events, thats 7 races.  2x400, 2x100, 2x200, 800 + 2 relays = 9 total races in 4 days.   Maybe more than I can handle considering the heat... but that's why I train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment