Wednesday, December 9, 2020

400m at 90%, turf 150s

Finally some warmer weather, but still not warm.  Mid 50ºs, sunny, and light winds, temperature falling quickly as the sun sets.

I decided to start with a hard 400m, not all out but about 90%.  Came up a little short of goal, but still ran my age.  Whenever I start with a workout like this, I use up a lot of juice and the rest of it suffers a bit, not being in particularly great shape right now.  I was going to run a hard 200m after the 400m, but I waited a bit too long and it got cold, I felt stiff, so I bailed at 150m.  

Hoka trainers on

Stretches, drills, 2 x 100m strides

50m - 7.09

400m - 60.66 (28.96, 31.70)

150m on track  - 90%

3 x 150m on turf w/ 30 sec rest ~ 23-25

The 400m felt ok, not super hard, no rigging, so I think I'm still in about 59 shape.  With just 2x track workouts a week, I'm really not making any gains.  Since it got cold Dec 3, haven't been doing much lifting or cross training, so my weight is up a bit.  145.5 lbs after workout.  

Track Season 2021

Indoor

I'm pretty amazed that we are in the midst of the worst pandemic in 100 yrs and the Birmingham Crossplex is hosting almost daily indoor track meets this month.  There is an all-ages meet this Saturday, Dec 12 that I could have raced in, but it's just too risky.  A few masters have entered.  100s of kids will be there.  There are also meets scheduled for Jan, but as much as I'd like to post an indoor time, it may be just too risky.  

Outdoor

The Southern Athletic Association's (SAA) Council of Presidents voted on Monday to allow student-athletes to compete in the spring semester.  Schedules for Berry College and other track teams have not yet appeared, however Sewanee is taking extraordinary measures.  This is their statement, what they've proposed:

As we continue to #ProtectTheBubble, the following protocols for Sewanee Athletics have been made for fall and winter sports: 
  • Sewanee will play HOME GAMES ONLY as part of the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) schedule and will not send any teams away from campus for competitions. We welcome SAA teams who choose to travel to Sewanee to participate in scheduled competition, provided that our safety protocols, which include testing and masking, are met. 
  •  Upon arrival, all members of visiting teams, coaches and officials will be administered COVID-19 tests by our on-campus testing lab and will be quarantined until results are known. The competition can proceed as scheduled if all results return negative. Sewanee will cover all expenses associated with travel and testing for visiting teams and officials. 
  • Except for swimmers and divers in the pool, all student-athletes, coaches, officials and game staff must wear masks at all times, including during competition.
I can't quite imagine athletes running 400/800/1500m races using masks during the race, especially after they've already tested negative.  Due to these restrictions, it's doubtful I'll be able to race in Sewanee but perhaps at Berry or other colleges.

No comments:

Post a Comment