Saturday, December 26, 2020

150s on grass in FL

Very cool for FL standards today, about 52º and sunny at the Sumter County soccer fields in Wildwood.  Trying to find an open track is pretty hard around here and it was just as well that I run on grass today after the 4 hard 300s last time.  Was happy to find this place.  I did find the local HS track, and I probably could've jumped the fence and trained on it, but I don't know the rules around here and how closely the local authorities might observe the track, (or how strenuously might pursue a violation of closure).

So, I whipped out my metric wheel and measured 150m on the grass field and marked it with cones.  It wasn't perfect or as consistent as artificial turf, but it wasn't bad.  There was even a small pavilion to put my stuff, and an open mens room.  (In the photo, 150m is about just short of the tree line in the distance).

    Hoka trainers on 
    stretches, drills, 2 x 150m strides 
    4 x 150m w/ 30 sec rest ~ 25 
    2 x 150m - 20.91, 20.66
It was harder than usual since I'm out of my element and a bit heavier than normal, probably around 147.  I believe in this workout and has been my go-to workout all fall.  150m is the longest straight I can usually find on athletic fields.

The other running options here that I would entertain would be to run repeats on the ~130m hill near my parents house, or possibly to go with the local masters team to the HS track, but they train early, and I don't.   I have my bike so I'll be riding in the next few days.





No comments:

Post a Comment