Wednesday, December 2, 2020

300s


Finally some reasonable weather for the track.  About 45º but sunny and calm winds, snow on the ground in the shade, t-shirt weather for a winter workout.   I hadn't done anything physical since my bike climbs ending on Sat, winterizing my boat on Sun, and a set of abs and pushups yesterday.  So it's been a week since I ran.  Wanted to do a little more volume today.  
Hoka trainers on 
stretches, drills, 2 x 100m, 40m stride 
3 x 300m w/ 2 1/2 min rest - 50.8, 50.6, 52.3 
300m - 44.63

Was hoping I'd be able to get 4x300 in the tempo set, but if I had run a 4th, it would have been a death jog.  I was toasted after 3.  The first felt so easy.  It'll be a while before I can get 4x tempo with limited rest.  

These types of workouts, called intensive tempo, run at about 80-85% with limited rest are by far the most difficult and painful workouts, but some of the most beneficial.  It takes a lot of mental toughness to complete that last rep.  But once the ability to run at 75% of race speed drops below that, or for me, to above 55 for a 300m, it's probably better to stop, rest, and run a fast one at about 92%, which is what I did.  Still above optimum weight, 144.9 after workout.

Looking at my colleagues workouts, these types of workouts are not very popular.  I really do think it's because many don't have the stones to do it.  I've seen a lot of excuse making for why they don't.  But in fairness, it's really the realm of the 400/800 and 200/400 athletes, much more so than the 100/200 athletes.  

Did this workout with my Clifton 1s I bought on Ebay.  They're in good shape, felt great.  Bought 2 more pair of used Clifton 1s on Ebay.  These are magical shoes.  These have a really light insert and weigh only 198 grams or 6.93 oz.  My new Clifton 1's are a nice light gray with orange highlights.  The other pair are a real hideous coral/green, but I bought them because they're like new, not because of the color.  These shoes will likely never be made again, so I'm stocking up.  The green ones are about the only one's left on Ebay in my size, probably the least desirable color.  I may even buy more while the last, there are several of these green ones in almost new shape for about $50.  

Clifton 1 crazy!



No comments:

Post a Comment