Wednesday, March 18, 2020

New world, the future...

Sprinting into the ethereal ghostly landscape of a different world. Fogged-in twilight on the mountain. Students gone, college track season canceled, sprinting past lacrosse nets and athletic equipment that will never be used this season. Ghost town. Beautiful here. I’m really lovin’ it.


I went to the gym last night only to find a sign on the window, "closed until further notice."  So, instead Roya and I went to the track for a light workout.  I did very little except for stretching and some strides.

The pandemic in our midst has canceled all competition for the foreseeable future.  The rate of disease has leveled off in China and Korea, but the US is steep on an upward curve.  I think this upward curve will last longer than in China or Korea, due to the lack of preparedness here and the initial barrage of misinformation by the Trump administration deliberately downplaying the severity of the situation.

National, World, and State competition in June and July may still be possible, probably a small chance, but I'm doubting that masters and open meets in May will happen.   That being said, it probably would be wise to scale back the speed work, and perhaps reduce to 2 track workouts a week, prepare for the long haul which could be, under the worst case scenario, indoor season 2021.

Low volume tempo workouts, and extensive tempo on turf maybe the way to go to preserve and protect.  I did essentially that after severely injuring a hip flexor racing a 100m at the end of March in 2015.  But mostly in the form of over distance.  Then returned to start a string of National championships in July.  I only started sprinting fast about 9 weeks before Nationals, and not racing until 6 weeks before.  So, if it looks like the Nationals are going to happen, I could start ramping up as late as mid May as long as I'm in shape.   Being uninjured is #1. 

I do plan to go out today if it doesn't storm....

No comments:

Post a Comment