Sunday, March 1, 2020

1st day of short speed work

Warm today, low 60ºs, a bit windy.   I thought it about time I should try to accelerate and run fast.

It was a milestone day, the first time I put on spikes in almost 18 months, (but just for one 100m sprint).  First time I tried full speed accelerations from the starting line, no rolling start.  I was a bit gun shy, didn't want to get hurt.  But it went well.  Ran everything about full effort.  My body held up well.

Hoka trainers on  
300m warmup, stretches drills 
bandwork - hams, hip flexors 
50m w/ 2 step flying start  - 6.37 
2 x 50m from 3 pt stance - 6.75, 6.56 
100m - 12.37 (from 3 pt stance )
Puma trainer spikes on 
100m - 12.32 (from 3 pt stance)
Hoka trainers on 
300m - 42.95
I think the most impressive sprint of my day was that first 100m in Hoka Clifton 1 trainers:  12.37.  These sprints were also done with a tailwind.  I think my form was better than when I ran just slightly faster in spikes.  Training in spikes is really hard on my feet so I put them away after just one sprint.  I seemed unusually tired after only 3x50m and 2x100m, but I put the trainers back on and pounded out a hard 300m.   Not as fast as I wanted to run, but not bad.  I had the wind in my face for the first 150.  I'm still not ready for a 400m race, but this today gives me confidence to race a 200m, (maybe even a 100m).   I need a lot more work on blocks and acceleration, form, speed endurance, everything. 

To save my feet, I'm considering replacing a track day with a pool running day.  Tues is supposed to be very rainy, so maybe pool on Tues.

Heavier today than last time, 144 lbs.  Probably from eating at the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment