Thursday, July 12, 2018

striders, 800m

Really feeling like summer today, mid 80ºs and humid early evening in Sewanee.   My quads and calves were predictably sore from yesterdays massive stadium stair workout.  Probably shouldn't have done 30.  Just trying to make up for lack of track work.

I tested the injury tonight, it's improved but a long way from gone.  After warmups I started 100m strides gradually getting faster, 20,19, 18, 17.   No faster than 17.  So, that's certainly fast enough to run foundation, so I ran an 800m hoping to exercise my aerobic system a bit.  Taking it relaxed and not fast, just 76 400m pace (19 sec/100m), happily ... I was able to run without feeling the injury at all. After the 800m, I rested 3 min and did a 200m at 34 pace.  I did feel the injury for the first time in this last interval, probably should not have run it, but it's ok, it wasn't bad.  Went to the weight room afterward to do the peripheral muscle groups.

It's going to be a last minute call for Nationals.  The race is 2 weeks from today and I'm no where near able to sprint.  If I can't sprint in 10-11 days, I'll cancel.  I don't want to go out there and re injure it.  I should change my flight now and come home Sat. and save a few hundred and not run the 200m.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 100m strides - 20,19,18,17 
800m - 2:34 
   3 min rest 
200m - 35

I'm reminded that hills and stairs and bike are no substitute for the specificity of track sprinting.   Better than nothing and I'm still in top shape... considering.  140.7 lbs after workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment