Friday, January 8, 2016

Split 400s

Hit the Sewanee track today for a speed / event run workout.   I did 2 split 400s - 300m at race pace from blocks / 1 min rest / 100m.

A pretty tough workout for me in my present shape but the times were ok for this early.  Still doubt I can go sub 57 on TSU's track on Sunday.  Be happy to beat last season's debut - 57.29, but that was on Mondo.

I definitely felt a slight soreness in my right ham and will not run the drag race, the 55m.   It didn't affect me at 400m pace though.  It's a reminder that I've sluffed off on my eccentric ham prehab, necessary to prepare to go full out.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
100m strider 
Saucony spikes on 
split 400 - 300m - 40.75/ rest 1 min / 100m - 15 sec 
  Puma spikes on
split 400 - 300m - 41/ rest 1 min / 100m - 15.5 sec 
As I was leaving the house, I noticed my new Pumas came in.  I resisted the temptation to try them out on the first run, but broke them out for the second run.   They felt ok, but different from the previous yrs model.  See my review (above post).  They come with really long 9mm (3/8") spikes (see below).  I've never tried this spike length til today.  On a porous granular and worn track like Sewanee, they felt really good on the turns.  I may consider racing with these spikes on risers on some really granular tracks.  Compression spike (xmas trees) I think were really invented for Mondo although paradoxically, many Mondo track facilities (like Vandy and B'ham) ban them.   Certainly wouldn't use these on 9mm spikes on Mondo, although I do think U. Bolt may use them on Mondo.  They seem really long compared to my 7mm xmas trees.

Should be good to go for Sunday, don't want to get my hopes up that I'll run a good time.  Seeded myself way too optimistically... 56.49 and 25.10.  That's ok, well above my season PRs that most people use.




No comments:

Post a Comment