Friday, January 22, 2016

Indoor workout


Not wanting to go 3 days without doing anything right before a meet, I retreated to the place of last resort, Sewanee's indoor 160m track.  It was just what I needed,  but it reminded me why I never want to race a 400/200 here again.
Saucony trainers on 
320m warmup, stretches drills 
2 x 400m w/ 90 sec rest - 65, 73
I ran the opposite way to protect a sore foot, but it's not too bad.  The first 400m was easy and I was not recovered when I ran my second.   This is the same workout I did 2 days before running my PR at Vandy last yr, except  it was more like 60 / 82.

No telling what I might do at the Crossplex on Sunday.  Heat sheets are up and I'm with a bunch of guys my speed, which can be difficult indoors.   I don't have a good lane (3 ...  but better than 2 or 1). But, I entered an honest seed time, the time I ran there last yr.   (Masters are notorious for inflating seed times, I never do).

I will have Marcus, former M50 world champ just to my outside in 4 so that will be a good target for pacing.  Indoor 400m is like you're damned if you go out too slow, and damned if you go out too fast.  Very hard to pass, costly in effort and lengthens the distance to run outside.  So different from outdoor.  Everyone wants to lead at the break.  Sometimes there's contact, elbows, shoving.  If you lead at the break, 80 - 90% chance you'll finish 1st or 2nd.

Looking forward to seeing my masters clan there, Don, Markus, Peete.  Should be able to pull a 56 if I don't get boxed in.  Feel fairly well prepared, I am at race weight, 143 after workout.

Sewanee Fowler Center Track

No comments:

Post a Comment