Saturday, July 14, 2012

Return to the 400m - TN State Games meet report


Wasn't great - 56.61.  But it was the first 400 I've raced in almost 11 weeks.  

I will have some work to do before the Nationals if I expect to make the finals and possibly contend for a medal.

Didn't sleep well last night, got about 3 hrs sleep. Don't know why.

The State Games were pretty shoddy this year... no starting blocks were provided.  Serious sprinters brought their own.  There was intermittent heavy rain and thunderstorms. The black track was saturated, but much preferable to last week's 110º weather.   It was muggingly humid but not excessively hot.  I was sweating profusely after warmup.  Did mostly stretches and drills.  Didn't really run much before my race.

I went out fast, probably too fast, had a little rigging in the end that probably cost me a crack at my state record from last year: 56.09.

The good news is that the ham is fine.   No strain or soreness whatsoever. Screw the 800m.  I am really tempted to run the 200m tomorrow!

Me and Carnell Lewis, the M70 400m winner,
hard to believe this guy is my dad's age.
The knee is not so fine, a little sore, so I think I'll need to save it for one final training push for the nationals.

End of season injuries seem pretty prevalant among my colleagues.  Almost everyone I talked to seemed to have some injury issue.   Some that ran in the district meets couldn't run today because of injury and were there to watch.

Always inspiring were older athletes that ran fast.  The M70 winner ran a 71 sec 400m, which is pretty fast.  I want to be like him when I grow up.

To make the best of my last few weeks of training, I need to do speed work and endurance intervals with less recovery time and not worry so much about trying to run faster times than previous workouts.   I should probably limit my training to no more than two consecutive days or every other day, which means I have to make the workouts count.

I'm light, 139.8 after meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment