Friday, July 6, 2012

Quality and variety

After last night's severe storms in Sewanee, the morning temps were in the upper 60sº and the track was littered with wet leaves.   The new moisture also spawned the first appearance of flying insects in this relatively mosquito-free summer.  I got there later than usual, about 5:20am.

I must have done a number on my glutes in that Tues session because my right side was still quite sore.  Since the ham injury, I've had the time to focus on resistance and especially upper body.

I ran everything up tempo with generous recovery.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
Puma spikes on
600m - 1:41.5 
500m - 82  
2 x 200m - 27, 26.5 
300m - 44
Ham is much better, just a little tighter than the right.   Makes me think, damn... if I can run 26.5 200m right now, I should be good to go in 4 weeks for the Nationals in the 200m.  Maybe I'll change my flight.   Don't know yet.  Need to see what the blocks feel like.

I may stay in Sewanee throught the weekend.   Much cooler up here.   It's been nearly 100º every day in Murfreesboro.  It is 8 - 15º cooler here.
6:00 am - Sewanee Track  7/6/12        

4 comments:

  1. Bill, what is your opinion on having trials on Thursday (Aug 2) for both the 400 and 800? Personally, I am against both, especially the 800. We have lost countless 800-m runners who are fully employed and don't want to come out Wednesday to run a useless 800 trial on Thursday.

    "Useless" because there is a huge difference between the top 2 or 3 runners and the bottom half. If they truly cannot run an 800 final on Saturday as one race, run it as two races on that day.

    For the 400, run two races on Friday, seeded and unseeded, for finals. Seed the races based on real performances (at real meets) between January 1 (indoor or out) and meet day. That would avoid having people come out on Wednesday to run a race on Thursday that is often cancelled.

    Masters run too many trials.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,
    I really don't see the need for a first round in the 800m. Perhaps the 400m, but only if there are more competitors than can be accomodated in 2 heats. Seems like there are always scratches so it's hard to plan. The schedule also does not favor those who would want to do both the 400 and 800.
    I'd be in favor of a stricter qualifying standard and no preliminary rounds. Frankly, I think there are some bogus seed times and I think a qualifying standard would make the event more meaningful ...and shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Bill, you might not believe this, but there used to be a trial in the 1500, which was run on the first day of nationals. One time we had about a 4:10 miler come all the way across the country to run his 1500 trial, only to find at the last minute that it was cancelled. Don't know how much vacation time this gentleman, who was a full-time employee for a firm in the state of Washington, had to take for his bogus race.

    At present, someone who runs 1 minute, 55 seconds in the 400 would be eligible to run in the M50 400 final (actually, he would be eliminated in the trials, but why would he merit being in the trials? I would have a standard of perhaps 1:08.5 or 1:09.0 for M50. If he couldn't make that he wouldn't be in the meet. If the request for a standard wasn't accepted I would simply put him in the slower of two seeded finals. But what do I know?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking 1:02 or 1:03 as a standard for M50 400m. 40 people have posted times under 1:03 in the M50 rankings. There also needs to be some verification on seed times, as there is with age verification. Interesting discussion. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete