Friday, July 20, 2012

Big 400m race today, masters track stuff

Today's start list for the Monoco Diamond League 400m looks very much like an Olympic final with Lashawn Merrit, Kirani James, Kevin Borlee, etc...   Also in this race is Jeremy Wariner who failed to make the US Olympic team, so perhaps he can seek some redemption.

UPDATE:  The Monaco Diamond League 400m - the race was today.   Lashawn Merrit pulled up lame.   Bad time for an injury.



NATIONRESULTDIAMOND POINTSDIAMOND RANKING
1
BEL
44.74
SB
4
3
2
GRN
44.76
2
5
3
BEL
44.94
1
8
4
DOM
45.10
6
2
5
USA
45.28
2
5
6
GBR
45.52
7
CZE
45.55
USA
DNF
8



Masters Track:

Looking at the turnout for the M50 Masters Nationals 400m, it looks pretty crazy competitive.   No way can one hold back anything in the first round.   Compared with last years meet where there were only 11 competitors, this year has 23 !! ... 3 full heats.  It may certainly be possible to run 56.50 and NOT make the finals.   Top 2 in each heat then the next fastest 2 times.  I will likely not win my heat as I am about 4th seeded.

As I said, I'm a bit dubious about staying for the 200m.  I will decide after my 1st round 400m.  Looks like Val Barnwell has been cleared to run.  Him and Tissenbaum are a lock for gold and silver.  It also looks as if Briscoe has not yet been cleared.

I got a call out of the blue from James Chinn yesterday.   I loved chatting with him.   He's one year older than I and has won many national and world championships.  He told me he was ill at the indoor nationals and had lost a lot of weight.   Nevertheless, he still edged me out for the bronze in the 200m by a tenth.  We talked about how the incentive to compete diminishes when we reach the later end of our age group and younger faster people join.  We like to win medals, but as we said, especially in my case and in masters track in general, Champions are sometimes made by people who don't show up.

This M50 age group will rock next year with the likes of Marcus Shute, Chris Faulkner, Lonnie Hooker, and others.  I have 2 years left in this age group and will likely dial back my participation in the next two years.   Running 17 meets in a season is too much.

1 comment:

  1. Predicted highs for the four days at Lisle:

    94, 89, 87, 93


    Somewhat warm for my taste, but I'm an announcer, not a sprinter. Hope they have some shade. I heard the final count was only about 1118 or perhaps very slightly higher. Disappointing, but the sprints are packed.

    Just looked at the 1500 for women -- only nine entrants under the age of 50. Yikes, someone had better do some recruiting.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete