Sunday, July 8, 2012

800 event run

2:19.   Short of my goal of 2:16, but a PR.

A humid 74º in Sewanee.  I slept kind of late, got to the track at 6:15 am.  The sun was hitting the about 1/3 of the track.
400m warm up, stretches, drills
 Puma spikes on
50m striders 
800m - 2:19  (65/74) 
300m - 45 
200m - 28
I set a goal of 2:16,  64 (16 sec/100) and 72 (18 sec/100).   My 400 split was a second off (65) and I went downhill from there.  My last 200 was pretty weak, feeling like I rigged in the last straightaway.

One thing is for sure, I hate the 800m.  Maybe with competition, I could do better... but not much.  That really was unpleasant but If I did more of those, it would help my 400m I think, as long as I kept doing short fast stuff as well.  If I were to compete as an 800m runner, I'd need to be doing 1k and 1 mile repeats.   No thanks.

Inventory: The ham feels good, just a bit less flexible than the other, so still not 100%, but should be there by Sat. race.   My weight is good, probably about 141.  My right knee is showing signs of wear, clicking... etc... but no significant pain.
----------------------------
Nationals regular registration closes tomorrow.  Late registration continues for another few days.   The 400m has 16 guys. No Chin, Waller or Sullivan.  Assuming Briscoe is a foreigner, not medal eligible, my chances for a medal are decent.  There are some fast unknowns and likely bogus seed times, so it's hard to tell.   I need to run in the 55s.   I would like to do that this Saturday.  Only 11 in the 200m, but there is Waller and Tissenbaum.   Still thinking it would not be worth my while to spend an additional $400 to stay and run the 200m.  If I get shut out in the 400m, I might be inclined to stay.


8 comments:

  1. "If I did more of those, it would help my 400m I think"

    I think so too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previous comment you said, 'don't run the 800.'

      Delete
    2. In competition ....there's a difference.

      Delete
  2. Michael Sullivan is injured; he may be out for the year. James Chinn, if he has not entered by now will probably not run. Rudy Briscoe has run very well at the Penn Relays the last two years -- he is the real deal. Not sure whether he is from US, Jamaica, or somewhere else.

    Tyrone Williams was an extremely hard hitter back in the day; not sure of his current condition.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Peter. I assume Briscoe is Jamaican since he ran in the Jamaican Nationals, is listed in the world rankings as representing Jamaica, and competed at Penn on the Jamaican Masters team. As far as I can find, he has never run in a USATF Masters National meet. He looks like the 'leader of the pack' and I'm looking forward to racing him. I guess (#1 ranked m50 400) Tyrane Williams and Tyrone Williams are different people? Should be a good race. I hope my wheels hold up long enough to bring my A game. Been racing since 1/7. Long season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, I would be 99.99% sure that Tyrane Williams and Tyrone Williams are the same person, for two reasons: (a) Never heard of someone named "Tyrane"; (b) Tyrone Williams was from Michigan "back in the day" and the rankings indicate he most likely lives there now.

    At 2003 Eugene masters nationals, here were some of the leading finishers in M40:

    Elvis Forde 49.30
    Sunder Nix 49.91
    Tyrone Williams 51.41
    David Bynoe (5th) 52.34

    If Bynoe has worked his way back into shape he will be a threat for 3rd in Lisle.

    As you might have guessed, I will be the primary announcer in Lisle and am trying to work my way back into shape both mentally and physically. I'm reading a lot about masters T&F these days.

    Absolutely agree that R. Briscoe is from Jamaica or at least runs for them.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. "trying to work my way back into shape both mentally and physically"

    Peter, looking forward to your mello pipes in Lisle and 'thumbs up' respecting your recovery! We spoke briefly in Burea when I was acting as my son's "publicist" ..... (behind his back and over his objection)

    Best, Dr. Bill's Dad ... Bill Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Bill Sr. Glad that you will be in Lisle. Your son is quite a high achiever in both track and music, but he will have a tough task at nationals, as you can see. Let me put you on hold to see which competitors I regard as potential medalists in the M50 400. Will be right back.

    OK, Scott Granowski, Jeff Lindsay (a superb 800 runner), Corey Moody, Ian Smith (the brilliant Scot now living in New England), Tyrone Williams, and Wm. Yelverton all look "medalish." I threw out David Bynoe because his 800-meter submission looks slow -- he must be out of shape.

    Peter L. Taylor

    ReplyDelete