Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What to use on boards?





I will only run on a wood track once this year: this Friday at 'ye old' Mason-Dixon Games at Broadbent Arena in Louisville. The 52nd annual.

One of the selling points for this meet is to...
"RUN ON THE SAME BOARDS THAT WILMA RUDOLPH, BILLY OLSON, RENALDO NEHEMIAH, RALPH BOSTON, STEVE SCOTT COMPETED ON."
Actually, I'd rather not. These planks are 50 yrs old. Well, at least the turns are banked. Give me a modern rubber track any day.

So... what spikes to use? (see photos below)

Pin spikes seem to be the best choice of spikes, sharp cones also. I will definitely NOT use my new Nike Superfly R3s. I will either use the my old pair of R3s or my new Saucony Showdowns. I like the using the Nike for the crowns - they seem to give me a bit of lift. I wore them at MTSU and they worked ok, and MTSU's track is every bit as hard as hardwood. I've recently coated all the crowns with super glue for durability.

The Showdowns look extremely aggressive with their 10 spike plates outfitted with 1/4" needles. I like that the outside rear spike is quite far back. However, the Saucony's are at least an ounce heavier than the Nikes and don't fit quite as nice.

I guess I will get there early and decide. I really am focused on the first event of this meet, the 200m.

The way this meet is run is unfortunate. On Friday night there will be 400 middle school kids competing alternating with probably less than 50 masters and open athletes. More tomorrow in the pre-race day post.



No comments:

Post a Comment