Thursday, February 23, 2012

Blocks and light sprints




















Admittedly, a bit sore from Tuesday's resistance/stairs/plyos, I took Wed off and hit the track today, on a windy but perfect 72º afternoon for some light sprint work and blocks.

Also today, at the urging of Ray and Chuck, I officially joined the Greater Phily Track Club and changed my USATF affiliation to mid-Atlantic so as to be able to compete in the Penn Relays. I also purchased my ticket to Raleigh to compete in the SE Masters Championships in May.

Today:

800m warmup, stretches, drills

2 x 60m striders

spikes on

200m - 28

2 x 100m - 14, 13 (one w/ blocks)

5 starts from blocks
I found that I can use my Gymboss timer for block work. I can program it to give me a beep to respond to. If only the stop watch function had a countdown to a beep, I'd be able to time myself for a 100m precisely from a block start to the 0.00th. The interval mode only works in whole seconds but the stopwatch does time tothe hundredth.

With a steady strong 30 mph wind at my back, I ran a 13 sec 100m and let up completely at 90m. Amazing how much the wind can add. With that powerful of a tailwind, I could surely run under 12.

My problem with starting block form is that I sometimes take short and wide (off center) steps coming out. I need to concentrate more on keeping a good line and a long and powerful first step - that's why when training, I center the blocks on the lane line and practice running down the stripe. I'll go out tomorrow and do more block work. I anticipate doing only one more hard workout this month since I have 5 days in between the next 2 meets.

Inventory: Tad sore but not bad. Still a little heavy: 140.0 after workout.


1 comment:

  1. Air resistance increases as the square of velocity. Volume is proportional to mass, and is (roughly)the cube of surface area. Increasing volume (mass) will have little change on frontal surface area (cube relationship). Momentum = mv. (mass x velocity)At high velocity the predominate force to overcome is wind resistance. All other things being equal (which they never are, of course), a larger mass, with greater momentum, will have an advantage. Sprinters typically have fairly signficant mass, it is an obvious advantage for generating power and helps to maintain speed at high velocities. Gain lean muscle tissue (not now of course, will interfere with peaking)

    ReplyDelete