Tuesday, February 7, 2012

300m event runs


Sunny and cold this morning on the track. Temperature 38º at the start of my workout. Past 2 mornings I've awoken with the beginnings of a cold - the foreboding sore throat. So far, it hasn't spread to my lungs, so I'm ok.

My goal was to run 14, 15, 14 splits for 43 sec 300s with the Gymboss timer/beeper. I came pretty close to goal. After running the first in 44 (14, 16, 14), I really stepped it up to try at get them on target.

It sure doesn't look like much in print, but it sure seemed hard.
800m warmup, stretches, drills

Adidas spikes on

2 x 50m striders

3 x 300m event runs - 44, 43.5, 43.5

300m strider - 52
Giving myself generous recovery, at least 4 min, on the 2nd 300, I nailed the first 2 splits but came up 2m short of the last one. On the third 300, again I nailed the first 2 splits and really pushed the last 100m, pretty much an all out effort to finish again, just 2m short. That one dropped me to my knees and I felt the fatigue in my hams. I wanted to do another but I just didn't have it after that. I finished with a strider.

The fatigue may be due to my 'lightness of being' (lack of fuel) - running a little light, just 137.0 lbs after workout.

Looking at my times this week per the effort, it doesn't seem as if I'm getting any faster, so it'll be hard to improve on my times this weekend. Hope to do some starts tomorrow and a light day on Thurs. After this weekend meet another 2 weeks before the last local meet on 2/25, time for a good training cycle.

2 comments:

  1. The engine need fuel ... Can't run well without it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter training is always slower. The air is denser and at high speed that adds resistance. The track compound will not rebound as well at colder temperatures.

    ReplyDelete