Thursday, July 14, 2011

Whooped

OK, maybe I have been over training: running 3 of the last 4 days, and on the "day off" busting my butt with plyometrics (6 x 15) and resistance (4 x 50 - ham and quad). By the time I started my workout Thursday morning, I hadn't yet begun to get sore from the 75 leaps + lunges + resistance I had done the evening before. Combine that with a bad nights sleep (Iska's dog barking), some draining amorous activity, 1200m of 90% sprints at 5am ... I was pretty whooped by Thurs afternoon and feelin' it. My glutes and abs are sore and it looks like I need to take a day off.

Looking at the great Masters sprinter Oscar Peyton's training blog, his running workouts during July before the Nationals were really pretty minimal, but he is a 100/200 guy. Even so, he usually ran just 3 or 4 days a week, did resistance on off days. His running workouts were usually no more than 5 or 6 sprints totalling no more than 700 meters. I did 2400m of sprints on Mon, 1800m Tues, plyos Wed, and 1200m today along with some striders.

I think maybe one more serious endurance workout, then taper.... and then work on form, technique, starts, and power.

I want those state meet records and I will run the TN State Meet. I've never lived my life cautiously. I like track meets and that meet will be a good dress rehearsal for the Nationals, and my last chance of the season to run the 100m. Not an opportunity to pass up.

I'm kicking myself for not running the 100 at the Nationals. I should have signed up for it, I could have scratched later. My chances for making the finals in the 100 in the Nationals would have been better than in the 200.

Whatever, I need to be ready to bring my 'A-Game' to both meets if I want the records and to make the finals at the Nationals.

So, Friday I'll just do my usual pre workout warmup with stretches and drills, but not any running.


No comments:

Post a Comment