Sunday, July 17, 2011

Last week of training for the season

I decided to do resistance today, but no ass kicking plyos. This high rep work has proved a necessary injury deterrent. I really need to work on blocks and technique this week.

I think I'll structure it something like this:

Mon 7/18 - speed work
Tue 7/19 - endurance intervals
Wed 7/20 - resistance
Thurs 7/21 - blocks and technique, light speed work
Fri 7/22 - ditto, no sprints over 80%
Sat 7/23 - 400m and 100m race - TN meet
Sun 7/24 - 200m race - TN meet
Mon 7/25 - rest, stretching, drills
Tues 7/26 - light speed endurance workout
Wed 7/27 - rest, travel
Thurs 7/28 - 400m Nationals

Thoughts on the Nationals...
I was looking at the entry list of M50 400m. Many have run in World and National meets, some have been involved in Masters track for many years. Some of these guys are recent World and National medalists. Several names that didn't submit seed times I looked up to find in the finals of previous world meets. There will be no taking it easy for the prelims if I hope to have a chance to make the finals.

On the State Meet...
But first, I have to get through this TN meet, healthy and with some state records and hopefully a PR or 2. I'm surprised that the TN Senior Olympics hasn't produced an athlete's list yet, they are definitely late considering the meet starts in less than a week. I wanted to see if I would have any competition. As far as I know, there isn't anyone, certainly from last year's results. But there's always the possibility of an unknown new person, like me, that could show. Not real likely. I already raced last years winners. The forecast is for a brutally hot day, near 100ยบ which will make the black track slow and mushy. That's OK. My only issue about the TN State Meet records is that many of them are old 'hand timed' marks, harder to beat with FAT. For example, the 400m record is simply listed as "57" ... not even a decimal point, the 200m is "25.7." They date from '97 and '98. It looks like FAT became standard in '99. I really hope they don't screw up the timing. That is the only reason I'm running.

Weight is hanging around 140. Would like to be 138 by race time. I'm fairly sure I've added a pound or 2 of muscle this season so 138 will probably be good, around 9-10% body fat I estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment