Sunday, August 25, 2024

still not ready to run, bike sprints, WMAC concludes.

Went to the new track and did my standard warmup including a ginger 100m jog on the turf.  Thought I might be ready to run, but no.  Can't even support my body weight on the ball of my right foot without significant pain, let alone run on it.  So, it may be a while.  8 days prior, I did my second consecutive hike in the Alps with not really well cushioned shoes (Hoka Rincons) and just 4 days prior, had run some 150s on the track in Chamonix.  So, I need more recovery.  I may try again on Mon or Tues.   May wait til late next week.  No rush, but eager to get back in it.

On the bike yesterday, I did something different which I may begin doing more of.  Level sprints.  I did 4 sprints on the level were I accelerated to 27.5 mph but sustained it for only a very brief time.  I really felt the pump and it pushed my HR to 170+.   This may be better or at least a good supplement to the bike climbs I've been doing.  

World Masters Championships in Sweden have ended.

And the level keeps getting higher.  I remember running a WL M60 400m time of 56.23 in '21.  All three medalists in M60 this year were faster.  Bernardo (Denmark) 55.56,  Francois (USA) 55.40,  and astonishingly, Roland (Germany) with the second fastest M60 400m in history at an amazing 53.93, fastest since Ralph Romain set the WR at 53.88 29 yrs ago.  All those guys were a few yrs younger than I except Peter (Germany) who finished 5th in 56.90 at near age 64 (not sure of his birthdate).   

I was more interested in the M65 age group which I'll be going into.  John W (Australia) WR holder in the indoor 200m, was the class of the field winning all 3 sprints.  56.22 in the 400m.  Gerhard (Germany), whom I narrowly beat in Lyon in '15, got silver running 58.24 at age 68!  Ron, my chief competition in the USA, won the bronze in 58.69.   

I really hope my body can adapt to the training as I was doing in Jan of this year when I ran 58.84 early in the indoor season.  Even with the injury on 2/2, I still ran a 57.9 time trial in early March.   

It's worrying that the host (Mt. Sacs) has withdrawn from hosting the '25 USATF outdoor Masters Nationals.  If by some really bad turn of events, that they decide to have it earlier than usual, beginning before my birthday in early July, I'd be out of luck and still barely in M60 age group.  Unlikely but possible.   Masters National Outdoor '25 is my primary goal right now and it's unusual to not have that date firm at this time.

Weight is starting to get down 145.4 this morning.


2 comments:

  1. 27 to 28 is pretty good. Suggest to string together enough of them with short active recovery so that you are very very winded and full of doubt (as to whether to do anymore). Perhaps build, like 21/22/23/24/25 and as many 27’s as willing or able. A half mile block is good for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan. Unable to tolerate much running at this point.

      Delete