Monday, May 16, 2022

tempo 300s, weight pulls, thoughts

Back after 3 days off from the track while traveling.  While in FL, I did very little aside from some single leg squats w/ 50 lbs and walking.   I did eat ok so the weight loss is coming.  Beautiful night in Sewanee before the hot weather comes later this week.  72º and falling into the 60ºs by sunset.  Light winds.  Very quiet time of year with the students gone.  I love it.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m

4 x 300m / 3 min rest - 49.65, 50.29, 52.69, 53.70 (51.58 avg)

3 x 60m sprints w/ 45 lb weight

Better.  But still way behind where I was last year.  I was doing these with 2:30 rest.  In March '21, I did this set 5 times, each time a bit faster.  Avg. times range from 50.69 to 48.99.   By April I was peaking at 48.1 avg w/ 2:30 rest.  Then I started doing 5x300m w/ 6min and 6x200m w/ 3min at faster tempos by May and June of '21.  It was a killer regime and long.  Don't have that much time now.  Down to 7 weeks including this one.  

I'm really going to up my off day cross training.  Squats, core, bands, etc.  

139.8 lbs after workout.  The last of my belly fat is now soft and loose, as it gets right before it melts away.  I should be good by race day in 12 days. 

I can still feel the injury slightly but it's very slight and hopefully will stay that way or improve.  My foot is as much of an issue.

---

Thoughts:

I was totally astounded at the results coming in from the Nat'l Senior Games.   I'm certain more records and world leads were established than in any previous such event.   Must have been a fast track.  After easily winning Nationals last year, I have some real competition this year.   Ron H. ran 57.35, the fastest M60 400 in the World this year and fastest since my times at Nationals and Toronto last yr.  His time I think could medal or even win in Finland. Stunning for a guy who could only manage 60.71 last yr.   He's first person besides myself to break 57.5 (M60) since the pandemic 2 yrs ago.  I have posted 3 faster times than that last year, but I doubt I'll be ready to run that fast for a month.  2021 was my year, maybe this is Ron's year?  

I sometimes think I've bit off too much... Finland,  Eugene, Nationals in KY, and of course this ambitious racing schedule I'm about to embark on.  I'm trying to be positive but I sometimes have doubts.  I guess I shouldn't be so intimidated by my '21 workout grids.  I can get there.   I did it once, I can do it again.  In the final analysis, I will be a contender for a medal, no matter where the competition.  I should be happy with that.   People don't stay at the top.  World Champion Don M. didn't even medal in the 200m last weekend and finished 4th, even Charles Allie finished second in the 100m.   Whatever, I will give it my best shot. 


1 comment:

  1. “Best shot” … That’s who you are!

    ReplyDelete