Tuesday, May 10, 2022

first 300m event run


The speed is still there.  Perfect day for my first event run since returning to the track a month ago.  Mid 70ºs, calm winds, sunny, track to myself.   

I brought everything, my spikes, blocks, bands, roller, massage gun.... even brought the leaf blower to clean the track under the tree where I home base since the outer lanes are covered in seeds.  

I started slowly with a few 50s, then a 100m in trainers.  Then, I put the Maxfly spikes on and tried them with out socks.  Did ok.   Was actually pretty nervous before I launched into my rolling 300m event run from the 400m start.  I knew this sprint would determine whether my body would tolerate a 300m in spikes, and if I  could go anywhere near race pace.  This would play big into my decision to punch my ticket for Finland.  After walking around a bit and getting my head together, just as I was getting ready to launch, a coach came and parked his golf cart right in the middle of the track and proceeded to fidget with some equipment.   After waiting several minutes and glaring at him, I had to ask him to move (... a-hole).   I launched.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, massage gun, roller, 2 x 100m

2 x 50m - 7.30, 6.51

100m - 13.07

Nike spikes on

50m - 6.44

300m (turn-straight-turn) - 41.10 (25.84, 15.26)

Hoka trainer on

5 blocks starts 


It was fast, it was race pace.  Comparable to what I ran in Ames, although a rolling start.  But the first half was again, too fast.  I went out in 12.51 and the first 200m was a full second faster than my 27 sec goal.  I paid for it in the 3rd 100 (15+).  But even if I could have limped home in 17.5, it would still be mid 58.  I thought about going 350 or 400m, but I could feel the far turn stress the injury slightly.  It was a bit sore afterward and my foot took a beating, so I didn't do much more afterward even though I wanted to.  I put the trainers on and did some blocks.  When ok.  Using the Sprint Starter app, I was able to get 2 starts under .20 reaction time.  

I'm now leaning toward Finland.  I have 6+ weeks of training left and I need to do conditioning, and not risk injury doing much speed work.  I'll save that for the track meets.   I can race 4 consecutive weekends before and if I go to Hayward for the 800m.  I'm registered to race a 400m in Huntsville 2 weeks from Sat. (5/28), then planing to race a 400m a week later in ATL (6/4).  The week after that, I can race a 400m on Sat, and a 800m on Sunday as I did last year.  

Moving forward, I need to respect my days off and do some swimming.   I have just 6 weeks.   I need to make these workouts really count, the brutal hard stuff... over-distance and intensive tempo.  It's the only way.  I know the speed is there, but my last 100m isn't there yet.  

Next time out will be Thursday late morning, probably 500s.  I'm planning to be off for Friday, Sat.  I might be back just in time to do a late Sunday track workout if I drive directly from the airport and my plane is on time.  

140.8 lbs after workout.  Just a few more pounds to go.  


Somebody's got to do it....

1 comment: